HELP WANTED: We don't have the capacity to maintain this app. We're looking for community volunteers to help us out and keep it going. Please email email@example.com if you're interested.
PocketReporter is an mobile app for Android devices that helps you be a better reporter by guiding you through the news gathering process.
app branch is the app itself, the
gh-pages branch is the website.
Local development uses the PhoneGap simulator.
- Clone the repo and
cdinto the repo directory
- Switch to the app branch:
git checkout app
- Download the PhoneGap app
- Run PhoneGap and add the PocketReporter directory, and start the app in PhoneGap
- Visit the URL shown in PhoneGap
You can also use any local webserver that servers files from the filesystem. We use Jekyll.
- Check out the repo and app branch as above
- Start any local webserver, such as Jekyll:
- You can also use python:
python -m SimpleHTTPServer 4000
www/js/main.jsand uncomment the line that says
- Visit the site in your browser: http://localhost:4000
- Download the translations file from CrowdIn.com
- Make a note of the language code (eg.
- Import it into
python strings.py --file download.csv --language LANGUAGE_CODE
- Check the new strings in the app
- Sanity check the changes using
- Commit as usual
Building and deploying
Phonegap is built on Phonegap Build by pulling directly from the
app branch of the repo.
License and Copyright
Copyright (c) 2016, 2017 OpenUp
Licensed under the MIT license.
The Pocket Reporter name and logo are Copyright 2016 OpenUp, and may not be used without permission.
The logo is a derivative of this Freepik icon.
You're welcome to re-use this code to build your own application, provided you give it a new name and logo, provide attribution to Pocket Reporter and OpenUp, and follow the requirements of the MIT License.