Get Job ready with 13 projects, 2 courses, and 10 books
Are you working through the FreeCodeCamp curriculum and want to be job ready (for a junior role) without finishing all three certifications? Want to short-circuit the process and get this done quick without getting laughed out of interviews?
Are you thinking "I'll just finish the frontend certification" and start applying?
You're looking at the wrong certification to get prepared and I'll tell you why. The frontend certification does NOT teach you any of the real world skills that go along with programming that you'll need on the job. It doesn't teach you how to work in an editor on your own machine. It doesn't teach you how to run a build process. It doesn't teach you how to share your code in a git repository. And, it doesn't teach you how to deploy your code to a real server on the net.
Have no fear there IS a FCC certification that will get you much, much closer to your goal. Combine it with just a few other resources and you can get there. The backend certification is the one you want to be aiming for.
Finish this list - and you'll walk into interviews with a lot more confidence, and a much better chance of landing that job.
If you have any questions, be sure to check the FAQ. In fact, before you even start anything, go read the FAQ. It has a plethora of hints, tips and answers to help you ensure you get the most out of this guide.
Read these books, complete these two courses, this certification, and these three projects
- Book: You Don't Know JS: Up & Going
- Book: You Don't Know JS: Scope & Closures
- Book: You Don't Know JS: this & Object Prototypes
- Book: You Don't Know JS: Types & Grammar
- Book: You Don't Know JS: Async & Performance
- Book: You Don't Know JS: ES6 & Beyond
- Course - CS50 on edX
- The FCC Backend Certification - all projects, ignore the tutorials and just read the official docs if you want.
- Book - DOM Enlightenment
- Project - Portfolio from the frontend section of FCC
- Project - Clone the Netflix interface using React, Angular, or Vue - pulling data from the Movie DB API or an API in a backend you create yourself.
- Book - Open Data Structures
- Project - Clone this Admin template using React, Angular, or Vue
Special note: No, you're not done until you finish every step, in order.
If you don't have access to Netflix, or just want an alternative to the Netflix Project
Clone Spotify - you can sign up for a free account. Spotify
You can use their API to search pretty much all of the data they have available: Spotify Web API
You can't actually pull full length versions of the media to play in your app, just play the demo track ;)
If you're thinking @P1xt, you're nuts, I just want to be a frontend developer, this is too much
- No it's not.
- This will actually do what the frontend cert alone wont. It will prepare you to do the job of a frontend web developer in today's market. Writing some HTML and CSS isn't all there is to the job. This will prepare you for the rest
- Don't quit.
- Don't panic!