Firefox OS Boilerplate App
This is a demo app for Firefox OS, loosely based on (Firefox-OS-Boilerplate-App https://github.com/robnyman), meant to act as a simple boilerplate for getting started with apps for Firefox OS.
It is a showcase of Web Activities, WebAPI usage, adding offline support and more in Firefox OS!
To add your own icon, I recommend using the Firefox OS app icons style guide.
To test/install this app, download the code and run it on a web server, or navigate to Firefox OS Boilerplate App in Firefox on a device or in the Firefox OS Simulator.
installPackage - Packaged Apps
It also supports
installPackage to install a ZIP version of your app with all files packaged. This also gives you access to a few extra APIs, due to a higher security clearance.
The repository contains two sample things to make this possible:
- A mini manifest - the package.manifest file
- A ZIP version of the app
To enable this, please go to the js/base.js file and change two lines, as described in the comments. Basically, these are the steps needed for packaged apps:
- Alter the mini manifest (package.manifest) and make sure the "package_path" is absolute
- ZIP all app content (not containing folder), including regular manifest
- Developer name and info HAS to match between mini manifest and the regular one
- Turn on Developer Mode in the Firefox OS Simulator (Settings > Device Information > More Information > Developer > Developer mode)
- Add type property (e.g." type" : "privileged") in the manifest if you want access to certain APIs (just asking for permissions isn't sufficient)