Steganography brute-force utility to uncover hidden data inside files.
Looking for the Docker repository? You can find it here
Stop wasting time and CPU, use stegseek instead! Not convinced? Look at these benchmarks (stolen with love):
|password||Line||Stegseek v0.4||Stegcracker 2.0.9||Stegbrute v0.1.1 (-t 8)|
|"budakid1"||1 000 000||0.9s||[p] 23m50.0s||13m45.7s|
|"␣␣␣␣␣␣␣1"||14 344 383||1.9s||[p] 5h41m52.5s||[p] 3h17m38.0s|
While I've enjoyed building this tool it is and always will built on bad foundations. StegCracker started out as a dirty hack for a problem which didn't have any good or easy to use solutions, it's biggest limiting factor however is that it relies on just spamming thousand of subprocess calls per second which (despite being optimized slightly with multiple threads) is just horrible for performance.
So, as a result, after three years of managing the project I've decided to pass on the torch and officially retire the project. Thanks for the support and thank you @RickdeJager for building a better version 🎉
Using stegcracker is simple, pass a file to it as it's first parameter and optionally pass the path to a wordlist of passwords to try as it's second parameter. If you don't specify the wordlist, the tool will try to use the built-in rockyou.txt wordlist which ships with Kali Linux. If you are running a different distribution, you can download the rockyou wordlist here.
$ stegcracker <file> [<wordlist>]
Or using Docker:
$ docker run -v $(pwd)/data/:/data -it paradoxis/stegcracker example.jpg
The program requires the steghide binary, and Python 3.6 or higher to be installed. If python 3.6 is not installed, check out this guide on how to do so. Steghide can be installed by using the following command (Kali Linux):
$ sudo apt-get install steghide -y
To install StegCracker, run the following command:
$ pip3 install stegcracker
Or pull the latest docker image:
$ docker pull paradoxis/stegcracker
To update StegCracker, simply pass
-U to the installation command:
$ pip3 install stegcracker -U --force-reinstall
I can't install the tool with
pip3, but python 3.6+ is installed
- Your pip binary might be using a different version of Python. Try installing it
directly through Python like so (replace "X" with your minor version, eg:
python3.X -m pip install -U stegcracker
- Your pip binary might be using a different version of Python. Try installing it directly through Python like so (replace "X" with your minor version, eg:
I installed the tool, but when I run
stegcrackerit just returns 'command not found'
- Chances are your Python's
bindirectory is not in your PATH envrionment variable. As a dirty fix you could add the following to your
alias stegcracker='python3 -m stegcracker'
- Chances are your Python's
I'm using StegCracker 1.X, how do I upgrade?
- If you're upgrading StegCracker from the original 1.X release, please
remove the existing version first using:
sudo rm --force $(which stegcracker)
- If you're upgrading StegCracker from the original 1.X release, please remove the existing version first using:
I want to run an older version of StegCracker, how do I obtain a copy?
- While I recommended using the latest and greatest version, you might want to install an older version of StegCracker. You can do this by checking out the releases page. (Note: all issues or pull requests regarding this version will be be ignored).
Can I run this tool on other Linux distro's?
- As long as you have a valid version of Python 3.6 and steghide in your path it should work. Please note that the tool has officially been tested on Kali Linux, all other platforms might be unstable. If you find a bug on another distro, please submit an issue and I'll see what I can do (but do fill in the template as well).
Can I run StegCracker on Windows?
- As far as I know there aren't any official steghide releases for Windows, so as far as I'm aware: no
Copyright 2020 - Luke Paris (Paradoxis)
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.