SLACK BIBLE BOT
Setting this up with Slack is simple.
In your "Integration Settings" add an Outgoing WebHooks entry with these parameters:
- Channel : Up to your discretion. It is highly recommended you limit to a specific channel. If you are not quite sure just choose '#random'.
- Trigger Word(s) : In this version the only words that will be recognized are 'bible','gospel,'scripture'. Based on recommendations (Pull Requests) there may be more added later.
- URL(s) : this must be 'https://disciplr.herokuapp.com/bible'. This, again, is likely to change in future releases but I expect to maintain backward-compatibility.
- Token : This should be unchanged and can be ignored
- Descriptive Label : This is also up to your discretion but I recommend 'Bible Verse Expert'
- Customize Name : 'god'
- Customize Icon : I really like the 'church' icon
Click "Save Settings" and you are ready to go.
In Slack you simply type something like
bible verse John 3:16 and will get a response like this
Some supported alternatives are
bible gospel 1 Peter 2:2 and
bible scripture Matthew 5:9
In addition, you can simply supply a topic and get a random related verse:
It also supports phrases (multiple words). For example:
bible heaven and earth
Acknowledgement and thanks to GetBible.net for their API that provides the scripture. I have built this in a modular fashion, though, in order to allow other sources if desired.