QlikView, Creating Business Discovery Application using HDP
March 13, 2014
Welcome to the QlikView (Business Discovery Tools) tutorials developed by Qlik™. The tutorials will is designed to help you get connected with QlikView within minutes to access data from the Hortonworks Data Platform. QlikView will allow you to immediately gain personalized analytics and discover insights into data residing in Hortonworks Data Platform. As with most BI tools, QlikView can use Apache Hive (via ODBC connection) as the SQL access in Hadoop.
QlikView has two modes of ingesting data
Data loaded to QlikView In-Memory Associative Data Store.
- Pros – Sub Second Response Time, Data Compression, Only Accesses Data from HDP at time of load(Less Load on HDP)
- Con – Data Size Limitation, Data Duplication
QlikView Hybrid Solution – QlikView Direct Discovery on top of Hadoop.
Pro – Ability to analyze Big Data. Data is left in HDP, Workload is pushed down to HDP
Con – Response time depends on HDP. HDP response time is much slower than In-Memory. Work Load on HDP will need to be managed effectively.
This Tutorial will cover loading data into Qlikview In-Memory Associative Data Store; with simple modifications to the load script the application can be configured to run the Qlikview Hybrid Solution where data resides inside HDP.
Prerequisite 1: Download QlikView Desktop Personal Edition
Prerequisite 2: Working HDP Cluster(Please choose one of the below. This tutorial uses Sandbox)
Prerequisite 3: Download HDP Hive ODBC Driver
List the main steps needed to perform the procedure:
1. Install QlikView Desktop Personal Edition. (Qlikview is Windows Only Application)
2. Install HDP Hive ODBC driver and Connect QlikView to HDP.
Step 1 – Install QlikView Desktop Personal Edition
This section will guide you step by step instructions on installing QlikView personal edition.
Current version of QlikView of this writing is QlikView 11 SR5.
1. Install QlikView Desktop.exe
2. Choose Language
3. Qlik "OK" and allow installation to continue
4. Click Next to Start QlikView Installation
5. Accept EULA
6. Enter Name and Organization
7. Press “Next”
8. Choose Full installation and Press Next
9. Complete Installation of QlikView by pressing Finish
Step 2 – Install HDP Hive ODBC driver and Connect QlikView to HDP
In this section we will install HDP Hive ODBC Driver and Connect QlikView to HDP.
2. Click Next on the Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver Setup Wizard Welcome screen.
3. Review the license agreement than select checkbox to accept the license terms and click Next to continue
4. Select Next
5. Click Install
6. If reboot is required Click OK
7. Click Finish to close.
8. Click Yes to restart to your system
9. Open ODBC Manager to set up ODBC Connection with HDP
10. Select Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver.
11. Enter credentials for HDP Sandbox
Use Hive Server Type 2 to support Kerberos Authentication.
12. Enter Credentials
13. Click Test and verify successful connection.
Step 3 – QlikView Integration with HDP Hive
In this section, we will explore how QlikView can explore data in HDP. The tutorial will walk through steps to setup QlikView to Load Data from Hive. Please review HDP Tutorial and load sample data sets into Hortonworks Hive before starting this section.
1. Start QlikView Desktop Personal Edition
2. File –> New Click Cancel when the Wizard Comes up
3. Click on the Script Icon to Open QlikView Script
4. Click Connect and QlikView ODBC Manager will come up.
5. Select your HIVE ODBC Connection enter your credentials and test your connection
6. Click OK to clear connection test and OK on the QlikView ODBC Manager and a connection string will appear on Script Editor
7. Click Select and QlikView Selection Window will Appear with all of your Tables
8. Choose your sample table and select okay to add to HIVE table load script for selected sample table.
9. Qlik Okay to exit Script Editor or Reload to Load Data immediately into QlikView
10. Click Reload
11. The QlikView Document will pull in HDP Table into QlikView in Memory Associative Data Store. In this example we will pull in _sample_07 _table
12. Right click and choose “select fields”
13. Click Add All to add all fields to current QlikView Sheet.
14. Verify all fields were successfully loaded by inspecting the data in QlikView.
Select Items inside QlikView to see the Associative nature of QlikView. Once the data is imported you are ready to go. Now you can use QlikView to create data application with data from Hadoop and the Hortonworks Sandbox. QlikView is leading Business Discovery Platform, our application approach allows users to create insightful data visualization applications with Hortonworks Data Platform.
You can Download QlikView Files for this Tutorial in this Link: Download Qlik HDP Sample QVW
To help you learn more about QlikView here are some Videos that you may want view.
· 6 minute Video on High Level Product Demonstration on QlikView - QlikView Product Tour
· New To QlikView Videos - Series of 1 to 3 minutes video on QlikView Topics from loading data to designing charts to creating buttons.
Qlik (NASDAQ: QLIK) is a leader in Business Discovery—user-driven Business Intelligence (BI). Its QlikView Business Discovery solution bridges the gap between traditional BI solutions and inadequate spreadsheet applications. The in-memory associative search technology Qlik pioneered created the self-service BI category, allowing users to explore information freely rather than being confined to a predefined path of questions. Appropriate from SMB to the largest global enterprise, QlikView’s self-service analysis can be deployed with data governance in days or weeks. The QlikView Business Discovery platform’s app-driven model works with existing BI solutions, offering an immersive mobile and social, collaborative experience. Headquartered in Radnor, Pennsylvania, Qlik has offices around the world serving approximately 29,000 customers in over 100 countries.
The QlikView Business Discovery platform enables users to explore data, make discoveries, and uncover insights that can be used to help them solve business problems in new ways. One of QlikView’s primary differentiators is the associative experience it delivers to users. QlikView's associative experience allows users to answer questions they did not know to ask. - See more at: http://us.demo.QlikView.com/ and visit us athttp://www.qlik.com
Hortonworks develops, distributes and supports the only 100-percent open source distribution of Apache Hadoop explicitly architected, built and tested for enterprise grade deployments. Developed by the original architects, builders and operators of Hadoop, Hortonworks stewards the core and delivers the critical services required by the enterprise to reliably and effectively run Hadoop at scale. Our distribution, Hortonworks Data Platform, provides an open and stable foundation for enterprises and a growing ecosystem to build and deploy big data solutions. Hortonworks also provides unmatched technical support, training and certification programs. For more information, visit www.hortonworks.com. The Hortonworks Sandbox can be found at: www.hortonworks.com/sandbox.