DS Homebrew Donkey Kong Jr Game and Watch
=== INTRODUCTION ===
In 1982 I got my first ‘handheld’ console: the G&W Donkey Kong Jr. In 1983, I programmed my own version for the TRS-80 home computer. And now I programmed this version for the DS homebrew.
Why? Because it is simply possible to do and a fun experience too! I got the trigger to start this at an information evening at my son's school. A student of de 'hogeschool voor de kunsten' was telling about game design. A girl asked him if it would be possible to program games for the Nintendo Wii. That question triggered me because the month before I softmodded my Wii.
So I started looking for information about creating Wii homebrew applications. I learned that the devkitpro development environment could help me with it. So I decided to give it a try and to recreate a game that I programmed in 1983. At the age of 13 I programmed a relatively simple version of the Game and Watch Donkey Kong Jr for the TRS-80 home computer. I thought it would be fun to recreate it for the Wii.
And after finishing the Wii version I thought the game would be great to play on a Nintendo DS too. After all the original game is a handheld game! So I ported the Wii version to the Nintendo DS.
This is the result and I hope you like it.
A video showing the game can be found on YouTube: Nintendo DS Homebrew game Donkey Kong Jr.
- Gameplay identical to the Game & Watch Donkey Kong Jr.
- Each level becomes gradually more difficult: more birds and crocs are added.
- Background graphic 'borrowed' from 'Game and Watch Gallery 3'.
- All other graphics created from a picture taken from my G&W Donkey Kong Jr.
- All sounds recorded from a playing session with my G&W Donkey Kong Jr.
[ Yes, my G&W Donkey Kong Jr handheld is still working !]
The game is created using devkitpro: https://devkitpro.org/. Good introduction tutorials to using devkitpro and DS programming: https://patater.com/files/projects/manual/manual.html
=== HOW TO INSTALL AND START THE GAME USING THE DS WITH R4DS ===
- It is as simple as putting the dkjunior.nds on the SD card.
- Put the SD card back in the R4DS card.
- Put the R4DS card back in the Nintendo DS.
- Start the Donkey Kong Junior homebrew application.
=== FILE INFORMATION ===
- Folder - audio: contains all the sounds.
- Folder - build: used to build the game application.
- Folder - gfx: contains all the graphics.
- Folder - source: contains the game sources.
- File - main.c: the main game program source file.
- File - dkjunior.nds: game nds-file (result of build).
- File - dkjunior.elf: game elf-file (result of build).
- File - dkjunior.pnproj: devkitpro project definition file.
- File - icon.bmp: game icon image.
- File - Makefile: devkitpro project make file.