5.005_60 fails to build on NeXTstep. There are six problems:
1. PERL_POLLUTE_MALLOC is on by default, and it's broken. In 5.005
and earlier it could be made to work by also defining HIDEMYMALLOC.
That option is not available in 5.006. I think it should be
reintroduced as a suboption of PERL_BINCOMPAT_5005.
Incidentally, the INSTALL file suggest that PERL_BINCOMPAT_5005
and PERL_POLLUTE_MALLOC are off by default. They aren't in _60.
2. Perl.h tries to declare atof() as extern. On NeXT it's a macro.
3. "NXIsAlNum" is misspelled in handy.h
4. The FD_CLOEXEC macro is missing on NeXTstep.
The close-on-exec feature exists; only the macro is missing.
5. Gcc warns about line 3664 in util.c: the comparison
STDIO_STREAM_ARRAY[i]._file >= 0
is always true, since the _file field is unsigned.
6. Test 192 in pragma/warning fails. This a known problem for glibc
based platforms, but NeXTstep doesn't use glibc.
The patch below addresses problems 1..4.
--- perl.h.orig Mon Aug 2 22:21:56 1999
*** perl.h Sun Aug 15 22:34:18 1999
@@ -487,6 +487,10 @@
# include "embed.h"