d3 - Command line package and patch management for Jamf Pro
d3 (a.k.a. depot3) is a package deployment and patch management system for OS X that enhances Jamf Pro, an enterprise-level management system for Apple devices. It was created by Pixar Animation Studios.
d3 adds these capabilities and more to Jamf Pro's package handling:
- Automatic software updates on clients when new versions are released on the server
- Pre-release piloting of new packages
- Customizable slideshow presented during logout/reboot installs
- Installs and uninstalls are conditional on the exit status of pre-flight scripts
- Packages can be expired (auto-uninstalled) after a period of disuse
- Both the client and admin tools are command-line only and fully scriptable
- Admin command-line options allow integration with developer workflows and package-retrieval tools
d3 is written in Ruby and available as a rubygem called 'depot3'. It interfaces with Jamf Pro via its REST API using ruby-jss, a ruby module that provides simple and powerful access to the API. It also uses Jamf Pro's backend MySQL database directly to provide enhanced features.
Full user/administrator documentation is available at the GitHub project's wiki page.
The developer documentation for the D3 ruby module is at http://www.rubydoc.info/gems/depot3.
Also check out ruby-jss, which is used by d3, but is useful for working with the Jamf Pro Classic REST API in any project.
Macadmins Slack Channel(@glenfarclas17)
Copyright 2018 Pixar
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "Apache License") with the following modification; you may not use d3 except in compliance with the Apache License and the following modification to it:
Section 6. Trademarks. is deleted and replaced with:
6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor and its affiliates, except as required to comply with Section 4(c) of the License and to reproduce the content of the NOTICE file.
You may obtain a copy of the Apache License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the Apache License with the above modification is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the Apache License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the Apache License.