This is an experimental build of a new renderer and APIs. A lot of tools are broken, changes are not documented, and there is a new version of the core engine called PV8 Lite that is intended for developers looking to build games in pure C# as close to the metal as possible with no extra dependencies.
This is an early preview of the new renderer. The most significant change is that the mask color is now 0 instead of -1. I've tried to make this change as transparent as possible, but there are some big changes to selecting colors and some of the APIs that use colors. I'll have to document it, but long story short, color 0 is the default mask. That means whatever color is set to color 0, it will be transparent. The sprite parser will automatically add the mask color, so you don't need it in the colors.png file. With the exception of setting colors, it will basically work like before.
One final note, I am still trying to update the Paint Tool, so it may not work as expected or crash. I'll get it working correctly for the next release.
You have been warned!
You'll be able to download a preview build of Pixel Vision 8 for Windows, Mac, and Linux below. This project is continually updated, and automated builds are made available to allow users to preview new features, bug fixes, and optimizations to the underlying codebase. Please make sure to backup your Workspace before running this or any new build of Pixel Vision 8.
Due to how large and complex the codebase is, these incremental builds help reduce the time between releases and allow the collection developer feedback. Here is a list of the most recent changes:
- d85aef6ed8 Fixes to export in SFX Tool. (jessefreeman)
- 0d7a253c00 Fixed issue where sound would stop after too many sound instances had been played. (jessefreeman)
- 0bda0c8ec4 Fixed PixelData resize to correctly clear the pixel array and cleaning up color selection/preview in the Paint Tool. (jessefreeman)
- 754151d625 Cleaning up background render modes in Paint Tool. (jessefreeman)
- f36f38df40 Added support for custom mask color in MergePixels() API (jessefreeman)
- 244c271c7c Modificatoins to Paint tool to better support new transparency value. (jessefreeman)
- d0a911b2cb Fixing issues in the pixel exporter, paint, and workspace tool from renderer refactoring. (jessefreeman)
- 1b6c30c246 Cleaning up Workspace Tool menu, fixing graphic issues from shifting mask id to 0, and fixes to generating colors to work with new mask id. (jessefreeman)
- 3a1135125f Moved BG Color and Mask to GameChip, refactored Clear into Fill (#489), and refactored color id to color offset (#490). (contributed by jessefreeman)
- fdc1dee21a Continuing to make changes to the renderer to support 0 as transparency. (jessefreeman)
- b3cbc568a0 Removing unused logic from GameEditor and fixing issues with generating palette for the shader when no data file exists. (jessefreeman)
- 5ea6c91a68 Refactoring renderer to us 0 as the transparent color in prep for moving away from using ints. (jessefreeman)
- 00682541e0 Coverted PixelData into a generic to prepare for a move to using byte instead of int. (jessefreeman)
- 60720398a1 Fixing C# runner example to load the new BackgroundColor example. (jessefreeman)
For more details, see v1.0.17..v1.0.18.
In addition, you can see the current open issues here or use one of the following links to submit a new bug, feature or question. To learn more about Pixel Vision 8, check out the documentation, explore the examples, join the Discord server, and visit the main website.