Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Making your own expansion
PlaceholderAPI utilizes a .jar based module system which allows placeholders to be packaged in a .jar file and loaded/enabled dynamicly when the .jar for a specific set of placeholders is located within the
This system offers many benefits, including, but not limited to:
- The core plugin of PlaceholderAPI is not dependent on any external resources aside from the Spigot API
- The end user can choose which expansions are loaded / enabled, reducing memory usage and/or bloat
- If any placeholders break, the entire plugin does not break or require an update
- It is easier for maintainability.
Most placeholders depend on an external 3rd-party plugin to obtain data from. Sometimes those plugins update and cause the expansion or a placeholder to break.
The developer of the expansion can update the single expansion to support the new plugin version.
- It is easier for a developer who wants to add new placeholders to contribute
- Updates be deployed and accessed in real time without restarting the server.
Do you have your own expansion, that you want to share with all the PlaceholderAPI-users?
Click here to get info on how to do that.
If you want to make a own expansion, read the page Creating Placeholders using Expansions