PyPSA-Eur: An Open Optimisation Model of the European Transmission System
PyPSA-Eur is an open model dataset of the European power system at the transmission network level that covers the full ENTSO-E area. The model is suitable both for operational studies and generation and transmission expansion planning studies. The continental scope and highly resolved spatial scale enables a proper description of the long-range smoothing effects for renewable power generation and their varying resource availability.
The model is described in the documentation and in the paper PyPSA-Eur: An Open Optimisation Model of the European Transmission System, 2018, arXiv:1806.01613.
The model is designed to be imported into the open toolbox PyPSA for operational studies as well as generation and transmission expansion planning studies.
The dataset consists of:
- A grid model based on a modified GridKit extraction of the ENTSO-E Transmission System Map. The grid model contains 6001 lines (alternating current lines at and above 220kV voltage level and all high voltage direct current lines) and 3657 substations.
- The open power plant database powerplantmatching.
- Electrical demand time series from the OPSD project.
- Renewable time series based on ERA5 and SARAH, assembled using the atlite tool.
- Geographical potentials for wind and solar generators based on land use (CORINE) and excluding nature reserves (Natura2000) are computed with the vresutils library and the glaes library.
Already-built versions of the model can be found in the accompanying Zenodo repository.