Printer Monitor (OctoPrint 3D Printer Monitor)
New Easy Monitor Board Kit:
Now available is the Pre Loaded Monitor Board Kit that comes ready to plug and play on your network.
- Kit on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/823257424
- New 3D printed case design for Monitor Board kit: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4538747
- Configuration video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcBspqWhpIU
- Displays the print status from OctoPrint or Repetier Server
- Option to display time and weather when printer is idle
- Estimated time remaining
- Time Printing
- Percentage complete
- Progress bar
- Bed and Tool Temperature
- Screen turns off when printer is turned off or disconnected
- Screen turns on when printer is Operational or connected
- Option to display a clock screen instead of sleep mode
- Option to display 24 hour clock or AM/PM style
- Option to display Current Weather when printer is off
- Sample rate is every 60 seconds when not printing
- Sample rate is every 10 seconds when printing
- Fully configurable from the web interface (not required to update Settings.h)
- Supports OTA (loading firmware over WiFi connection on same LAN)
- Basic Authentication to protect your settings
- Version 2.2 added the ability to update firmware through web interface from a compiled binary
- Can query the Octoprint PSU Control plugin to enter clock or blank mode when PSU is off
- Repetier support added in version 3.0 -- define in Settings.h
- Video: https://youtu.be/niRv9SCgAPk
- Detailed build video by Chris Riley: https://youtu.be/Rm-l1FSuJpI
- Wemos D1 Mini: https://amzn.to/2ImqD1n
- 0.96" OLED I2C 128x64 Display (12864) SSD1306: https://amzn.to/3cyJekU
- (optional) 1.3" I2C OLED Display: https://amzn.to/2IP0gRU (must uncomment #define DISPLAY_SH1106 in the Settings.h to use the 1.3" SSH1106 display)
- (optional) Pre loaded Monitor Board kit: https://www.etsy.com/listing/823257424
Note: Using the links provided here help to support these types of projects. Thank you for the support.
Wiring for the Wemos D1 Mini to the I2C SSD1306 OLED
SDA -> D2
SCL -> D5 / D1 -- for Easy Monitor Board VCC -> 5V+
GND -> GND-
3D Printed Case by Qrome:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2884823 -- for the 0.96" OLED Display
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2934049 -- for the 1.3" OLED Display
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4538747 -- for 0.96" With Easy Monitor Board
Upgrading from version 2.2 or Higher
Version 2.2 introduced the ability to upgrade pre-compiled firmware from a binary file. In version 2.3 and on you should find binary files that can be uploaded to your printer monitor via the web interface. From the main menu in the web interface select "Firmware Update" and follow the prompts.
- printermonitor.ino.d1_mini_SSD1306.bin - compiled for Wemos D1 Mini for the smaller 0.96" SSD1306 OLED (default)
- printermonitor.ino.d1_mini_SH1106.bin - compiled for Wemos D1 Mini for the larger 1.3" SH1106 OLED
- printermonitor.ino.d1_mini_repetier_SSD1306.bin - Repetier version compiled for Wemos D1 Mini for the smaller 0.96" SSD1306 OLED (default)
- printermonitor.ino.d1_mini_repetier_SH1106.bin - Repetier version compiled for Wemos D1 Mini for the larger 1.3" SH1106 OLED
- printermonitor.ino.d1_mini_easyboard.bin - Version compiled for Easy Monitor Board for the smaller 0.96" SSD1306 OLED (SDA -> D2 and SCL -> D1)
- printermonitor.ino.d1_mini_easyboard_repetier.bin - Repetier version compiled for Easy Monitor Board for the smaller 0.96" SSD1306 OLED (SDA -> D2 and SCL -> D1)
Compiling and Loading to Wemos D1 Mini
It is recommended to use Arduino IDE. You will need to configure Arduino IDE to work with the Wemos board and USB port and installed the required USB drivers etc.
- USB CH340G drivers: https://sparks.gogo.co.nz/ch340.html
- Enter http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json into Additional Board Manager URLs field. You can add multiple URLs, separating them with commas. This will add support for the Wemos D1 Mini to Arduino IDE.
- Open Boards Manager from Tools > Board menu and install esp8266 Core platform version 2.5.2
- Select Board: "LOLIN(WEMOS) D1 R2 & mini"
- Set 1M SPIFFS -- this project uses SPIFFS for saving and reading configuration settings.
Loading Supporting Library Files in Arduino
Use the Arduino guide for details on how to installing and manage libraries https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Libraries
Packages -- the following packages and libraries are used (download and install):
WiFiManager.h --> https://github.com/tzapu/WiFiManager
ArduinoOTA.h --> Arduino OTA Library
"SSD1306Wire.h" --> https://github.com/ThingPulse/esp8266-oled-ssd1306
Note Printer-Monitor version 2.5 and later include ArduinoJson (version 5.13.1).
All settings may be managed from the Web Interface, however, you may update the Settings.h file manually -- but it is not required. There is also an option to display current weather when the print is off-line.
- If you are using the Easy Monitor Board you must set the const int SCL_PIN = D1 in the Settings.h file.
- By default OctoPrint client is selected. If you wish to use Repetier then uncomment //#define USE_REPETIER_CLIENT in the Settings.h file.
- Your OctoPrint API Key from your OctoPrint -> User Settings -> Current API Key -- similar for Repetier API Key.
- Optional OpenWeatherMap API Key -- if you want current weather when not printing. Get the api key from: https://openweathermap.org/
NOTE: The settings in the Settings.h are the default settings for the first loading. After loading you will manage changes to the settings via the Web Interface. If you want to change settings again in the settings.h, you will need to erase the file system on the Wemos or use the “Reset Settings” option in the Web Interface.
The Printer Monitor uses the WiFiManager so when it can't find the last network it was connected to it will become a AP Hotspot -- connect to it with your phone and you can then enter your WiFi connection information.
After connected to your WiFi network it will display the IP addressed assigned to it and that can be used to open a browser to the Web Interface. Everything can be configured there.
Donate or Tip
Please do not feel obligated, but donations and tips are warmly welcomed. I have added the donation button at the request of a few people that wanted to contribute and show appreciation. Thank you, and enjoy the application and project.
Or -- you can buy me something from my Amazon Wishlist: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/GINC2PHRNEY3
David Payne -- Principal developer and architect
Daniel Eichhorn -- Author of the TimeClient class and OLEDDisplayUi
Florian Schütte -- added flip display to web interface
Owen Carter -- Added psu control setting (v2.4)
Contributing to this software is warmly welcomed. You can do this basically by forking from master, committing modifications and then making a pulling requests to be reviewed (follow the links above for operating guide). Detailed comments are encouraged. Adding change log and your contact into file header is encouraged. Thanks for your contribution.
/* The MIT License (MIT)
Copyright (c) 2018 David Payne
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE. */