A IN-16/IN-8 based nixie clock
- burn out protection (cycle all numbers for 10 seconds every 10minutes)
- in8 or in16 tube usable via adapter pcbs
- for 4 (hours::mins) or 6 tubes (hours::mins:secs)
- easy to expand
- simple schematic
- tube holders with simple mount for easy change
FEATURES WIFI EXTENTION
- using esp8266 to add wifi support
- NTP SYNC
- CAPTIVE PORTAL to set wifi settings
- set timezone
- start antiburn-in cycle
- 1 control pcb see
- 4 Nixie Clock Adapter board for IN8 tube
./nixie_clock_in8_gerber.zipor IN16 tube
- 4 Nixie tubes IN16 or IN8
- 4 nixie tube drivers SN74141
- 1 Arduino Nano
- 1 RTC Module DS1307
- 4 20k resistors 1/2w
- 1 Nixie power supply 180v
- 3 tht push button
- 2 shift registers 75HC595
- 3 led resistors 330Ohms at 1/4w
- 3 5mm led 20ma
- 3 10k pull up resistors
- headers male and female
PARTS WIFI ADDON
- wifi addon pcb
- esp8266 12-e
- lm1117 smd
- 1k resistor
- 2k resistor
resistors used for voltage divider for the tx(arduino)->rx(esp8266)
- seconds addon pcb
- 1 75HC595
- 2 Nixie tubes IN16 or IN8
- 2 nixie tube drivers SN74141
- 2 20k resistors 1/2w
PARTS FOR THE CASE
- 7 mdf wood 10*20cm @9mm/10mm
- 4 tube cover pipe holder
- 4 tube cover pipe covers
- 2 tube pcb mounting brackets
- 2 tube pcb mounting bracket covers
- 4 pcb spacers for M3
- 4 M3 screws 10mm
- 2 M4 screws 16mm
- 2k glue (mounting 3d parts on glass)
- drill 4mm 6mm 20mm(for tubes)
- soldering iron
Images and schematic can be found in the
The gerberfiles to manufacture the PCB too. You also can use a breadboard or a arduino prototyping shiled to build the simple schematic.
For the top wood plate i have made drill drawing where to drill the 20mm holes for the tubes, if you are using the 10x20cm wood plates.
The PDF can be found at
The important thing is that one pair of tubes are 35mm away from each other to match with 3d printed mounting brackets.
See the pictures of the build below!
THE CONTROL PCB
NIXIE ADAPTER FOR IN-8 TUBES
You can replace the resistors with wires, except for the
R115 Anode-Current-Resistor 20K.
The other resitors are for adjust the brightness of each tube segment.
NIXIE ADAPTER FOR IN-16 TUBES
WIFI PCB ADDON
This wifi addon pcb sits directly under the Arduino Nano, and is soldered to its header pins. Then this sandwich is plugged into the control pcb
SEONDS ADDON PCB
This pcb add 2 more nixie tube outputs, if you want to have seconds, no software modification needed. it simply add an other shif register at the end of the others
To flash the arduino you can use the Arduino IDE to flash the
Select the Arduino Nano board and the SerialPort to Upload the Program.
After power up the clock you can use the buttons to change the time.
Select with the
OK-BUTTON if you want to change minutes or hours and change them with the
+ / - Buttons.
The clock send out a current time string
_t_hours_mins_secs_ the t at the beginning is the time identifier.
To set the clock using serial you can use the st time command:
_ at the end this has to be send, with an new line charater.
start an antiburnin cyncle with
_abi_ the clock send