Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 31 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Allow user to configure more variables for IRC server connection (e.g. port, SSL certs, etc.) #113
Allow user to configure more parts of the IRC server connection (e.g. server port, using self-signed TLS certs, etc.)
IRC servers are a wild world. Everyone can do things a little bit differently or deploy their network in a different way. Most of the current developers run the bot on Freenode, so we haven't thought about other bots as much. However, to make the bot more useful for more people, more options should be opened up for configuration for those who need it.
Implementation should be straightforward. New env variables should be created for the following:
These env variables should be used when negotiating the connection to the IRC server, instead of using hard-coded defaults. For our purposes, we can ship the Freenode defaults in our
More people can use the bot on a range of different IRC networks, outside of only Freenode
There is a way to specify IRC server port as well as SSL self signed certificate or turning on debug in the .env file or as environment variables?
Discussed in 2019-03-02 developer meeting.
This ticket was accepted for the v1.4 sprint.
We agreed this is a high-priority feature because it makes the bot more useful for more people. The implementation should be straightforward. I plan to work on this during the March sprint.
Discussed in 2019-03-30 Teleirc developer meeting.
I plan to do research this week for this ticket. I hope to have an idea of what to include and change for this by the next developer meeting on April 6th. I hope to have a final implementation by April 13th. I left the final week open in case of delays before the end of the v1.4 window on April 20th.
Discussed in 2019-04-13 Teleirc developer meeting.
As discussed above, I chose to drop this ticket for this sprint since I need more bandwidth to prepare for Imagine RIT at the end of this month.
@nic-hartley finished #19. Next, he is researching this ticket to see if it is simple enough for him to work on before the end of the v1.3.1 sprint on Saturday, April 20th. If it is a quick fix, we'll get it into this release. If not, we'll push back to v1.4.
Discussed in 2019-04-20 developer meeting. Final developer meeting of the RIT Spring 2019 semester.
This ticket is dropped for the v1.3.1 sprint because we lacked team bandwidth to work on it leading up to university final exams. This ticket may be completed over the summer. More sprints may be planned for summer.