- Added checks to prevent directory traversal vulnerability when external extractors create symlinks on the filesystem.
--run-ascommand line option to allow users to control the privilege level external extractors are given as well as the power to run as root if they so choose.
- Added documentation to the README that describes the changes above.
The binwalk v2.1.1 release includes many improvements, including:
- Many bug fixes
- New/improved file signatures
- Disassembly scans (using the Capstone Engine)
- Improved raw Deflate compression detection and extraction
- Raw LZMA compression detection and extraction
- Improved false positive detection for common compressions (Zlib, LZMA)
- An IDA plugin for running binwalk inside of IDA
- Integration of better extraction utilities (e.g.,
- Removal of all C library dependencies, including libmagic - pure Python!
- Native Windows support!
Thanks to everyone who submitted bug reports and pull requests!
- Python3 support
- Raw deflate detection/extraction
- Improved API
- Improved speed
- More (and improved) signatures
- Faster entropy scans
- Much more...
Lots of thanks to everyone who submitted patches and bug reports!