Welcome to the Reactor For CFML Repository
This is the offical repository for the Reactor ORM framework. As of now this site is open for business and ready to roll.
What is Reactor?
Reactor is an Object-Relational Modeling ('ORM') tool which generates database abstractions on the fly, as needed. Reactor is sometimes called an "Inline Dynamic Database Abstraction" API.
In simpler terms, Reactor is used to generate ColdFusion objects which are used to access data in your database. Depending on Reactor's configuration, these objects are recreated as your database or configuration changes.
Reactor accelerates development by automating much of the repetitive, tedious and error-prone work involved in creating an Object Oriented database abstraction layer.
Based on unscientific observations, it is roughly estimated that Reactor can help save up to 20% of your project’s development time. For more information on this, see http://www.doughughes.net/index.cfm/page-blogLink/entryId-128.
Because reactor is currently in a late Alpha stage (it's a Beta Candadiate right now), it can be hard to get up to speed. The best way to get started is to get the latest version of reactor from the Reactor GitHub Repository which is located at:
As the project becomes more formalized, there will be stable versions of the framework tagged at https://github.com/ReactorORM/reactor (select the Tags drop down).
If you can't (or really don't want to) use GitHub, Tom Chiverton hosts zipped versions of recent builds at http://www.falkensweb.com/reactor.html. You can also download a significantly out of date version of reactor from http://www.doughughes.net/includes/reactor/reactor.zip. That zip is only occasionally updated.
The framework comes with documentation that is incomplete, but should be enough to get you started and is included in the download.
How do I...?
There is a series of how to items here: http://github.com/ReactorORM/reactor/wiki/How-Do-I
The following are some good places to learn more about Reactor or to get help:
- The best resource is the Reactor mailing list.
- The Reactor category on Doug's Blog often contains good information.
- There is some documentation that is provided with the framework. Eventually this will be moved online too.
- Tom Chiverton hosts zipped versions of recent builds.
- Blow away your database by mistake? Look at Nathan Strutz's Reactor Database Rebuilder. Nathan also has a Reactor lexicon for Fusebox.
- http://www.succor.co.uk/ (quickstart guides under downloads)
- http://www.dougboude.com/blog/1/2007/05/Custom-Validation-with-Generic-Commit-a-ModelGlue-Case-Study.cfm (talks about validation and Reactor dictionary)
- http://evenamonkey.com/monkeyblog/reactor (some posts on Reactor including validation, link and relate)
(Please suggest more resources as they become available.)
Articles and Blog Entries
Please visit this link to learn how to submit bug reports.
Help Drive Reactor
Those of you who want to represent Reactor in style can now buy Reactor stickers, mugs and shirts from our own CafePress store.