Display technologies: beyond Retina
Clone this wiki locally
This page documents high density or high-resolution products coming to market for now and in the future. This page serves as evidence against claims that higher DPI than Apple's Retina displays are "years away".
- LG Display claims a world's first with 2,560 x 1,440 LCD for smartphones "Quad HD (2,560 x 1,440) smartphone display ... at 538ppi".
During Mobile World Congress, these phones were found to have a 3x pixel density:
- ZTE Grand S LTE for instance (1080x1920)
- HTC One
So here’s what Intel sees happening in the computer space over the next few years:
- Phones and media players with 5 inch, 1280 x 800 pixel displays (this is already happening)
- Tablets with 10 inch, 2560 x 1440 pixel displays
- Ultrabooks with 11 inch, 2560 x 1440 pixel displays
- Ultrabooks with 13 inch, 2800 x 1800 pixel displays
- Laptops with 15 inch, 3840 x 2160 pixel displays
- All-in-one desktops with 3840 x 2160 pixel displays
LG’s 5-Inch 1080p Display Could Send the Retina Home Crying - "LG has announced a new 5-inch smartphone display with a 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution and a whopping 440ppi pixel density".
Google Nexus 10 tablet to have higher-res display than iPad : "The Nexus device will have a resolution of 2,560 x 1,600 pixels, which is a PPI (pixels per inch) of around 299, surpassing the iPad's 264 PPI, Shim said. A higher number of pixels per inch results in a better image on screen."
Screen Resolution Alert for Web Developers - "Web analytics firm reports that 1366x768 overtakes 1024x768 for first time". This is not specifically much higher density, but does show a trend towards higher resolutions screens.
ViewSonic VP3280-LED 31.5-inch 4K monitor prototype hands-on (video) - "31.5 inch... 4k ...150 ppi prototype", costs around $30,000-40,000. Slated to be released at end of year and marketed at broadcasters, and other industrial sectors.
- UHDT 4k and 8k displays: "4K UHDTV (2160p) has a resolution of 3840 × 2160 (8.3 megapixels)… 8K UHDTV (4320p) has a resolution of 7680 × 4320 (33.2 megapixels)."