EasyRPG Player is a game interpreter to play RPG Maker 2000, 2003 and EasyRPG games. It uses the LCF parser library (liblcf) to read RPG Maker game data.
EasyRPG Player is part of the EasyRPG Project. More information is available at the project website: https://easyrpg.org/
Documentation is available at the documentation wiki: https://wiki.easyrpg.org
minimal / required
- liblcf for RPG Maker data reading. https://github.com/EasyRPG/liblcf
- SDL2 for screen backend support.
- Pixman for low level pixel manipulation.
- libpng for PNG image support.
- zlib for XYZ image support.
extended / recommended
- FreeType2 for external font support (+ HarfBuzz for Unicode text shaping)
- mpg123 for better MP3 audio support
- WildMIDI for better MIDI audio support
- Libvorbis / Tremor for Ogg Vorbis audio support
- opusfile for Opus audio support
- libsndfile for better WAVE audio support
- libxmp for better tracker music support
- SpeexDSP for proper audio resampling
- SDL2_mixer for audio mixing. Used as a fallback when none of the provided audio libraries support the format. Due to API limitations not all audio effects are possible through SDL2_mixer audio.
SDL 1.2 and SDL_mixer 1.2 are still supported, but deprecated.
Up to date binaries for assorted platforms are available at our continous integration service:
EasyRPG Player development is hosted by GitHub, project files are available in this git repository:
Released versions are also available at our Download Archive:
Autotools Makefile method:
- GNU make
tar xf easyrpg-player-0.5.3.tar.xz # unpack the tarball cd easyrpg-player-0.5.3 # enter in the package directory ./configure # find libraries, set options make # compile the executable
Additional building requirements when using the source tree (git):
- autoconf >= 2.69
- automake >= 1.11.4
To generate the "configure" script, run before following the above section:
Read more detailed instructions at:
tar xf easyrpg-player-0.5.3.tar.xz # unpack the tarball cd easyrpg-player-0.5.3 # enter in the package directory cmake . # generate Makefile make # compile the executable
Read more detailed instructions at:
Visual Studio method:
- Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 or newer
Compile the dependencies in a Visual Studio command prompt:
git clone https://github.com/EasyRPG/buildscripts cd buildscripts/windows powershell .\setup.ps1 # requires policy "RemoteSigned" build v140 # compile all dependencies
Create an environment variable EASYDEV_MSVC pointing to buildscripts/windows/build
Compile the Player:
- liblcf is compiled as part of the Player. Extract/Clone liblcf in the
builds/vs2015/Player.slnin Visual Studio
- The executable is created in the
Read detailed instructions at:
Running EasyRPG Player
easyrpg-player executable from a RPG Maker 2000 or 2003 game
project folder (same place as
- File an issue at https://github.com/EasyRPG/Player/issues
- Open a thread at https://community.easyrpg.org/
- Chat with us via IRC: #easyrpg at irc.freenode.net
EasyRPG Player is free software available under the GPLv3 license. See the file COPYING for license conditions.
3rd party software
EasyRPG Player makes use of the following 3rd party software:
FMMidi YM2608 FM synthesizer emulator - Copyright (c) 2003-2006 yuno (Yoshio Uno), provided under the (3-clause) BSD license
PicoJSON JSON parser/serializer - Copyright (c) 2009-2010 Cybozu Labs, Inc. Copyright (c) 2011-2015 Kazuho Oku, provided under the (2-clause) BSD license
Dirent interface for Microsoft Visual Studio - Copyright (c) 2006-2012 Toni Ronkko, provided under the MIT license