IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS FIRST
Rocket.Chat mobile is moving to React Native. Development on this repository by Rocket.Chat has now ceased. If your team is interested in taking over and maintaining this Android native client repository then please contact us.
Legacy Rocket.Chat Android native application
Get it from the stores
This repository contains all the code related to the Android native application of Rocket.Chat. To send new pull-requests, always use the branch
develop as base and open an issue with the description of what you want/need to accomplish, if the issue wasn't created yet.
How to build
- Make sure that you have the latest Gradle and the Android plugin versions installed. Go to
File > Project Structure > Projectand make sure that you have the latest versions installed. Refer this to see the compatible versions.
- Kotlin is already configured in the project. To check, go to
Tools > Kotlin > Configure Kotlin in project. A message saying kotlin is already configured in the project pops up. You can update kotlin to the latest version by going to
Tools > Kotlin > Configure Kotlin updatesand download the latest version of kotlin.
- This version requires the Kotlin SDK for Rocket.Chat. Clone the Kotlin SDK in by running
git clone https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat.Kotlin.SDK.git.
- First, a build is required for the SDK, so that required jar files are generated. Make sure that the Android repository and the Kotlin SDK have the same immediate parent directory. Change the current directory to
Rocket.Chat.Android/appand run the
build-sdk.shwhich will result in creating of the required jar file
Rocket.Chat.Android/app/libs, by the following steps in your terminal window:
cd Rocket.Chat.Android/app ./build-sdk.sh
Note: You need to have Java 8 as default Java for the system (project won't build when using a Java 9+ version).
How to run
- Connect your physical device to your pc via USB or start an emulator. Run
adb devicesin terminal. You should see your device in the list of devices.
- In order to build the debug apk, run
./gradlew assembleDebug. This would generate a debug apk which can be found under
Rocket.Chat.Android/app/build/outputs/apk/debugfolder with the name
- In order to build and install the apk directly to the connected device, run
- After importing the project in Android Studio, go to
Run > Run appand then select your device, or create a new virtual device by following the wizard.
Bug report & Feature request
Are you having a technical issue trying to compile the app, or setting up Push Notifications? Please use our Community Support channel for that: https://forums.rocket.chat/c/community-support. The issues are only supposed to be used for bugs, improvements, and features in the native Android application.
Please follow the official Kotlin coding conventions when contributing.