Rockstar is a dynamically typed computer programming language, designed for creating programs that are also song lyrics. Rockstar is heavily influenced by the lyrical conventions of 1980s hard rock and power ballads.
Mainly because if we make Rockstar a real (and completely pointless) programming language, then recruiters and hiring managers won't be able to talk about 'rockstar developers' any more.
Also 'cos it's kinda fun and any language based on the idea of compiling Meatloaf lyrics has to be worth a look, right?
Plus we can make stickers. Who doesn't want a sticker on their laptop saying 'CERTIFIED ROCKSTAR DEVELOPER'?
- The Rockstar language specification
- How to contribute to Rockstar
- Some examples of Rockstar programs
- rockstar-lexer - Rockstar lexer written in Haskell with Alex
- rockstar-java - Rockstar interpreter in Java
- rockstar-ml - Rockstar interpreter in OCaml
- rockstar-py - Rockstar-to-Python transpiler
- kaiser-ruby - Rockstar to Ruby transpiler
- sublime-rockstar-syntax - Syntax highlighter for Sublime Text 3
- language-rockstar - Syntax highlighter for Atom
- maiden - Rockstar interpreter in Rust (online version using WebAssembly)
- thrash - Rockstar implementation in Go
- rockstar-webpiler - Online Rockstar Parser and Transpiler. rockstar.connorwfitzgerald.com
- vim-rockstar - Syntax highlighting for vim
- vscode-rockstar-language - Syntax highlighting for VSCode
- chirp - Rockstar interpreter in C using flex and yaac
- sellout - Rockstar to C# (dotnet core) transpiler
- rokkstar - Rockstar parser and interpreter written in Kotlin.
- Meet the boffin behind a computer programming language based on power ballads in Classic Rock magazine.
- Rockstar article on BoingBoing
- Rockstar on HackerNews
- Rockstar on /r/ProgrammerHumor
- Rockstar on dice.com
- The Rockstar Programming Language | Mitigated Frenzy - see also their solution to the Rainfall problem
- Enterprise™ - "The world is not made only of Rockstar programmers. For all the non hipsters out there, now there's Enterprise™"