Front end for some emulators, using XBMC
This is a pet project of mine and its a combination of a skin, python scripts and source edits to XBMC. So don't expect something spectacular.
I wanted something that looked like EmulationStation on the Xbox and the only way to do that was to make a skin for XBMC and use it's built in feature to launch .cut files.
But it wasn't that simple, I wanted menu loading instant and there was no simple way to do that with over 700 roms or a few hundred games, so I modified the XBMC source to bypass the folder check for xbe files. This worked for games, but not roms, so again had to think outside of the box and came up with a workaround :) I create static menus when you scan your roms. There are also a few other scripts I made to do other tasks, but hopefully you like what I have made and get some use out of it.
If you'd like to say thanks by sending a small donation, it'd be a huge help, and it'll allow me to keep spending time towards contributing to the Xbox community in the future.
Build from Source:
- Download XBMC-Emustation and extract the XBMC-Emustation-master folder to your desktop.
- Download the latest XBMC4XBOX-*****.zip and extract the XBMC folder that is inside the zip to your desktop\XBMC-Emustation-master\ folder.
- Now double click the Build XBMC-Emustation.bat that's inside the XBMC-Emustation-master folder and wait. It will output a new folder named XBMC-Emustation
- FTP this new folder to your Xbox and enjoy.
Roms and Emulators
- You place your roms in the designated subdirectory in the .emustation\roms folder.
- Same exact thing for the emulators, but in the .emustation\emulators folder.
- note: these paths can be customized in the Other Settings menu
- Press start on the main screen. Other Settings > Auto Scan Roms
- Press start on the main screen. Other Settings > Update Selected Systems (Manual Mode)
Updating emulator list
- Press start on the main screen. Other Settings > Refresh Emulator list.
- note: this is automatically done if any of the Scan Roms Files options are run.
Custom emulators, media and roms Paths
- Press start on the main screen. Other Settings > scroll down.
- note: if you change any of these a rescan of your roms is required.
- Press start on the main screen. UI Settings > Home Screen Customization.
- Located in the options menu at the bottom. This will allow you to download application, homebrew, DLC and many more things.
Updated XBMC-Emustation to the latest version
- Head to options > Downloader > Updates > Install: XBMC-Emustation-update-files
- The rest should be self explanatory, its all in the menu.
For maintaining XBMC4Xbox over the years.
EmulationStation folk for:
es-theme-simple - GitHub es-theme-simple
es-theme-carbon - GitHub es-theme-carbon
( I created a few new images to add to these great svg images )
For the awesome theme ComicBook for EmulationStation GitHub es-theme-ComicBook
For the emulators on the Xbox - MadMab Emulators
For the 3 cartridge images I used for the favourites logo - Deviantart
Grimdoomer ( thefallen93 )
For telling me how DLC is hashed on the Xbox.
Feedback and suggestions.
- Jay Yardley
- Also to anyone else I may have forgot.