dragonfire.club : An Internet of Things Piano
An Internet of Things "piano" using solenoids and glasses with varying water levels. Originally created for an EE102 project (documented a year later in an effort to clean up my repositories).
Initially, a design was proposed involving servos, drumsticks, and a glockenspiel as pictured above. However, this design had the following two problems:
- Fast servos were expensive.
- WiFi modules for the Arduino were expensive.
- No local store in Fairbanks, Alaska could be found selling glockenspiels.
After some thought and planning, a much more detailed revised design was creating utilizing solenoids and a computer to handle networking. The advantages with this plan were:
- The arduino only had to worry about a simple and easy serial connection to a laptop.
- A much more capable Node.js backend could be used to handle wireless networking.
- Solenoids were much cheaper.
- Commonly available wine glasses filled with water could be used in place of a glockenspiel.