Where we attempt to lay a foundation, document practices and find our way...
Table of Contents
- Blog Posts
- Selected Datasets
- Guides to Datasets and Presentation
- Tools and Scripts for Working with Data
Dare we say a "Statement of Purpose"
While not always an appropriate - or practical - attitude in a newsroom setting, the above-anecdote from Derek Sivers is an important one...
So what are common elements of successful projects?
Each Tuesday we've have a Muddle Huddle to consider the following:
- What did we accomplish last week? What worked? What didn't?
- What do we want to accomplish in the week ahead?
- What did we learn that we didn't know before?
We will share this information with the KPCC Regional Desk, Chris Knap, Paul Glickman, Stephen Gregory and the shows.
What we're ready to do:
- Collaborate on reporting, stories or projects with reporters.
- Offer advice on how to request records and data, find and clean datasets and check findings.
- Brainstorm how to present findings and data whether in a narrative or visual form.
- Recommend data to use to make apples-to-apples comparisons, data sources to shy away from and how to understand limitations.
- Request records and data, find and clean datasets and check findings when required.
- Offer insight about the things that don't lead to stories and how we do work.
- Ask "Who is our audience?", "What do they need?" and "What can we make?"
What we shy away from:
- A service desk where you drop off a spreadsheet and continue on your way.
- The place where you go when you "want a map" for a story.
Sharing & Showing Our Work
Projects & News applications
Mentors & Inspiration
These compendium is based largely on the work by Investigative News Network and others, and shares their aim to formalize work and leave a roadmap for others to follow. For their work and inspiration we are thankful.
- Investigative News Network
- ProPublica's News App and Data Style Guides
- The NPR Visuals Team's app template, coding best practices and manifesto
- Guides and Process Docs from The Chicago Tribune's News Apps Team
- MinnPost's UI Style Guide
- Noah Veltman's Principles for making things for the web