Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
node npm cli walkthrough
Node.js, npm, and cli walkthrough
High level intro to Node.js
- Browsers have JS engines that run vanilla JS
- i.e. vanilla JS works in client-side environments
- Node is a JS engine that is packaged with other tools
- allows it to run in non-browser environments
- e.g. servers, command line interface (cli), and hardware
- Node "uses an event-driven, non-blocking I/O model"
- v4.4.7 LTS versus v6.3.0 (Long Term Support vs. bleeding edge)
- semantic versioning - SemVer - http://semver.org/
- nvm - Node Version Manager
- also recommend https://c9.io but it requires a credit card
- get an account
- create a new "Workspace" with a "Node.js" template
- enlarge the console tab
- ctrl-c, ctrl-c to exit
- high level intro to npm
npm install cowsay --global --save// only for presentation - it is NOT normal to do both --global & --save
bash(must explicitly enter the Nitrous "bash" terminal)
cowsay -b "You will be assimilated"
cowsay -f tux "Always decked out for black tie shindig!"
- quick highlight of npm and a few related sites
- discuss differences between --global --save --save-dev
- explore node_modules and nvm
- examine node_modules
nvm install v6
- delete "node_modules" directory
http://nodeschool.io/ - workshoppersOverview of
npm install learnyounode -g(shell)
Recommend Next Steps (for learners' to do on their own later:
- http://nodeschool.io/ - workshoppers
- streams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD2dZw9iHCc
Hardware and Robotics
- https://www.tessel.io/ - Tessel 2 is a robust IoT and robotics development platform. Leverage all the libraries of Node.JS to create useful devices in minutes with Tessel.
Clone this wiki locally
Press h to open a hovercard with more details.