A python framework for creating bots on the StackExchange network. Builds upon ChatExchange to create a nice framework to help you make bots without the nitty-gritty you would otherwise have.
- ChatUser management, along with privilege levels. Set up privilege levels using a single line of code. Botpy also provides different privilege chat commands to get your privilege system up and running in seconds!
- Command management, which you can easily extend with your own commands. Provides a simple template to make commands. Also provides a huge number of default commands you can configure.
- Redunda support, to help you run multiple instances at the same time and also have backups of all your bot data.
- A fully functional background task manager using threads, which allows you to add your own tasks. Automatically stops and starts tasks based on the status of the instance.
Botpy does not support any versions of Python before Python3. It has been thoroughly tested on Python 3.6 (and should work for 3.x). To install Botpy, run:
pip3.6 install BotpySE --user
sudo -H pip3.6 install BotpySE
Botpy depends on ChatExchange.
Upstream has a slightly experimental facility called
which is not yet part of an official release;
if you wish to use this functionality,
you will also need to install ChatExchange from source, not from PyPI.
Some incomplete documentation of Botpy exists here: https://botpy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
post_global_messagenow takes the
- v0.7.9: Add wrapper function to add background tasks.
- v0.7.8: Fix behavior for ChatExchange from PyPI; document same
- v0.7.7: Fix default callback from 0.7.6.
- v0.7.6: Add optional event callback; #10.
- v0.7.5: Allows the usage of the
send_aggressivelyoption in CE; fix LICENSE copyright.
- v0.7.4: Fixes privilege level bug.
- v0.7.3: Finally fixes the bug introduced in 0.6.7.
All default commands have been moved to
AllCommands.py; this also fixes #11.
- v0.7.2: Another attempt at 0.7.1.
- v0.7.1: Fixes bug introduced in 0.6.7.
- v0.7.0: Allow multiple aliases for a bot; #7.
- v0.6.7: Command directory structure organization; #8.
- v0.6.6: Implement a reboot method (#6).
- v0.6.5: Use logging instead of prints.
- v0.6.4: Let Botpy users override commands and choose privileges.
- v0.6.3: Allow addition of files to be synced with Redunda.
- v0.6.2: Small changes to location support.
- v0.6.1: Add location support.
- v0.6.0: Add Redunda support.
- v0.5.1: Allow change of storage prefix.
- v0.5.0: Huge overhaul; a lot has changed. Most classes now inherited from ChatExchange.
- v0.4.3: Misc Changes
- v0.3.10: A bug fix in the reboot check background task.
- v0.3.9: Missed uploading a file.
- v0.3.8: Fix a bug in v0.3.7.
- v0.3.7: Add a command to reboot the bot.
- v0.3.6: Add a parameter in the Bot class to indicate whether the bot is alive or not.
- v0.3.5: Add a command to list privileged users.
- v0.3.4: (Possible) Critical bug fix in command manager.
- v0.3.3: Fix a couple of exceptions.
- v0.3.2: Fix a bug in command initialization.
- v0.3.1: Typo bug fix.
- v0.3.0: Completed the privilege system by adding more commands.
- v0.2.5: Finally fixed the bug fix for the bot name problem.
- v0.2.4: Another possible bug fix for not allowing names with more than 4 chars.
- v0.2.3: Possible bug fix for a bug which does not allow bot names with more than 4 letters.