SimpleBITSServer (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)
A simple python implementation of a BITS server. BITS protocol is used to transfer files asynchronously between a client and a server. The BITS protocol metadata communication resides mainly in BITS-defined HTTP headers, all start with prefix "BITS-". For that reason, this implemantation is based on python's built-in SimpleHTTPRequestHandler.
The implementation corresponds to the MSDN specification for client and server packets.
- It was originally developed as an ad-hoc utility for modelling a BITS upload job scenario.
- The corresponding client is Windows' built-in PowerShell cmdlet.
- Therefore, It is not intended to fully implement or abide to the official specification. Further work may be done in the future to expand the specification coverage.
Official protocol specification - Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
- Tested with Python 2.7:
python SimpleBITSServer.py [port]
- Must run on a Windows OS to use the Microsoft Windows BITS Service.
- Ports or protocol mimics might exist, please inform us if you do find
- a BITS client, preferably PowerShell's Start-BitsTransfer. Alternatively:
- Windows' built in utility - bitsadmin.exe (deprecated)
- Any program implementing the required interfaces as described on MSDN
The simple PowerShell usage this server was built to service:
> Import-Module BitsTransfer > Start-BitsTransfer -TransferType Upload -Source C:\temp\to_upload.txt -Destination http://127.0.0.1/to_upload.txt -DisplayName TEST
Dor Azouri - Initial work
See also the list of contributors who participated in this project.
WTFPL - do What the Fuck You Want To Public License