The following instructions are optimized for Windows users. If you have questions or problems after reading and doing the following instructions please open an issue and I will try to address your issue.
- Install Cygwin with the packages
- Add the
<CYGWIN_INSTALL_DIR>/binfolder to your PATH.
- Install VirtualBox.
- Install Vagrant (1.6.1 or newer is needed).
- Download this repository and unpack the downloaded zip file.
- Install and start the Vagrant VM by executing
start.bat. It will take a little bit to download and install everything. Read the next part "File Synchronisation" while it installs. ;-)
The folder is synchronised to two places on the guest. Each synchronized folder has a special purpose.
Rsync - one way synchronisation for starting the Meteor app
The folder is synchronised with Rsync to the guest folder
- You must use this folder to start the Meteor app.
- You must use this folder for
- Changes won't be synchronized back to the host and will be deleted after the next sync.
Shared Folder - two way synchronisation for file editing
The folder is also synchronised with the VirtualBox shared folder feature to the guest folder
- Use this folder to make changes in the guest that should be synchronized with the host.
- Use this folder to create an app with
- After you added or updated smart packages you must copy the smart.json and smart.lock file
/vagrant2with (see open issue):
cp -f /vagrant/<MY_APP>/smart.* /vagrant2/<MY_APP>/ cp -f /vagrant/<MY_APP>/.meteor/packages /vagrant2/<MY_APP>/.meteor/
- Cannot be used to start the Meteor app.
- Cannot be used for
Create your first Meteor app
Do the following steps in the SSH terminal that opened with executing the
# Create the app cd /vagrant2 mrt create my-app --example leaderboard # Add an Atomosphere package cd /vagrant/my-app mrt add bootstrap3-less # Copy the changed smart.json and smart.lock to the host cp -f /vagrant/my-app/smart.* /vagrant2/my-app/ # Start the app mrt
Now open the URL
http://localhost:3000 in your browser. It should show you the leaderboard example.
Also look into the
vagrant-meteor folder. It has automatically synchronised the my-app folder.
You can now make changes to the app that will automatically be synchronized with the Vagrant VM.
If you find this useful I would appreciate a Gittip.
Check out the wiki for more details.