WordPress to Hugo Exporter
Hugo a static site generator written in GoLang: https://gohugo.io
This repo is based on https://github.com/benbalter/wordpress-to-jekyll-exporter
One-click WordPress plugin that converts all posts, pages, taxonomies, metadata, and settings to Markdown and YAML which can be dropped into Hugo.
- Converts all posts, pages, and settings from WordPress for use in Hugo
- Export what your users see, not what the database stores (runs post content
the_contentfilter prior to export, allowing third-party plugins to modify the output)
- Converts all
post_contentto Markdown Extra (using Markdownify)
- Converts all
post_metaand fields within the
wp_poststable to YAML front matter for parsing by Hugo.
- Exports optionally
commentsas part of their posts. This features needs to be enabled manually by editing the PHP source code. See file hugo-export.php at line ~40.
- Export private posts and drafts. They are marked as drafts as well and won't get published with Hugo.
- Generates a
config.yamlwith all settings in the
- Outputs a single zip file with
config.yaml, pages, and
.mdfiles for each post in the proper Hugo naming convention.
- No settings. Just a single click.
Usage with a self hosted WordPress installation
- Place plugin in
- Make sure
extension=zip.soline is uncommented in your
- Activate plugin in WordPress dashboard
Export to Hugofrom the
Usage at wordpress.com or any other hoster without SSH access
(I've never tried it, because not a wp.com user)
- Login into the backend.
- Create an XML export of the whole blog and download the XML file.
- Setup a local WordPress instance on your machine. You need PHP, MySQL or MariaDB and Nginx or Apache or Caddy Server. Alternatively you can install a Docker Compose setup https://github.com/wodby/docker4wordpress
- Install this plugin.
- Import the XML export. You should take care that the WordPress version of the export matches the WP version used for the import.
- In the WP backend run the
Export to Hugocommand. If that fails go to the command line run the CLI script with
memory_limit=-1, means unlimited memory usage.
- Collect the ZIP via download or the CLI script presents you the current name.
- Remove WordPress and enjoy Hugo.
Re Docker: It should be very easy to create a Dockerfile containing everything above mentioned for a one time conversion of the XML file to the Hugo format.
If you're having trouble with your web server timing out before the export is complete, or if you just like terminal better, you may enjoy the command-line tool.
It works just like the plugin, but produces the zipfile at
Alternatively, if you have WP-CLI installed, you can run:
wp hugo-export > export.zip
The WP-CLI version will provide greater compatibility for alternate WordPress
environments, such as when
wp-content isn't in the usual location.
- Fix destination against hugo 0.27
- Fix for working on older PHP
- Fix memory leak in Converter.php by cut unnessesary
- updated markdownify
- entities fix and post image added
- Export drafts and private posts
- Export optionally comments
- Various changes and fixes
- Made license explicit
- Removed word-wrap from YAML export to prevent breaking permalinks
- Use fork of Markdownify rather than external API to convert content from HTML to markdown
- Better memory utilization for larger sites, props @ghelleks
- Commmand-line support, props @ghelleks and @scribu
- Use WP_Filesystem for better compatability
- 1.1.1 - Use heckyeahmarkdown to prevent PHP errors when Markdownify chokes on malformed HTML
- 1.1.2 - clarify zip.so requirement in readme
- Initial Release
The project is licensed under the GPLv3 or later