Systems Engineer focusing on DevOps methodologies and collaborating with engineering teams working to architect solutions, eliminate technical debt, and implement automation.
Tribune Interactive (formally Tronc & Tribune Publishing)
August 2017 – April 2018 DevOps Engineer Digital and print publisher for 10 major papers including The Los Angeles Time and The Chicago Tribune.
- Work with developers to streamline CI/CD for application deployments.
- Provision, monitor, and maintain cloud infrastructure on AWS, including EC2, RDS, Lambda, Cloudwatch, and more.
- Manage updates and configurations for dozens of sites.
- Review AWS IAM policies and permissions, perform security audit, and implement best-practice security configurations
- Use Saltstack and other configuration management platforms to deploy states and updates to servers and applications.
- Guide development team with solutions and platforms for frameworks and upgrades
- Collaborate with NPE’s (Newsroom Product Engineers) to create and deploy tools in the newsrooms for journalism staff.
- Gather project requirements from product owners and architect proof-of-concept solutions for internal technology projects
- Create and maintain Jenkins build pipelines.
The Black Tux - Santa Monica
November 2016 – July 2017 DevOps Engineer
The Black Tux is an online service for renting a tuxedo or suit, using expertise and technology to provide an amazing and seamless experience to the customer.
- Re-architect staging and production environments to be fully container based.
- Create Terraform Modules and Scripts to deploy AWS environments.
- Work with development team to deploy daily builds in blue, green deployments.
- Help convert applications to serverless infrastructure in Lambda and S3 endpoints through Serverless and CodePipeline.
- Build Docker containers for development environments.
- Create documentation on common procedures.
- Troubleshoot and update SQL databases.
- CDN and DNS management with Akamai and Cloudfront.
- Support Django application and builds and deployments.
- Centralize logging with ELK.
- Redefined CI/CD pipeline using AWS suite of tools.
- Review and analyze billing and costs to maximize savings in AWS.
DAQRI, Downtown Los Angeles
November2014 - October2016
Systems Administrator / Cloud Engineer
Startup geared to releasing AR devices and applications.
- Manage production servers used for helmets, maintaining 99% uptime, ensuring a secure environment and responding to immediate issues.
- Migrate local infrastructure into AWS; Perform AWS Administration, with EC2, S3, Lambda, VPC, IAM, RDS, R53 and more.
- Deploy OpsWorks website stacks.
- Manage distributed cloud-based and local systems using Terraform; write and deploy Docker containers via Rancher.
- Configure, deploy, and automate Jenkins CI Build Master and slaves.
- Manage and deploy NGINX and Apache websites and proxies with SSL.
- Manage version control repositories on GitHub and BitBucket, team’s usage strategy, and reduce costs
- Manage local and remote VMware infrastructure and deploy physical and virtual servers and networks in remote offices.
- Develop backup and recovery strategies for local and cloud environments; ensure availability and uptime for critical systems.
- Architect, manage, and support migration of corporate infrastructure from Office 365 to Google Apps.
- Help plan and coordinate office expansion to an additional floor, including office moves and network configuration.
- Setup proactive Nagios monitoring and alerts for local systems and applications; evaluate ELK stack (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana) as an alternate or supplementary logging solution.
- Manage Solidworks EPDM and MSSQL servers with replicas; manage flex license servers locally and in AWS.
Training and Leadership:
- Work with AWS rep to create a plan to save over $110K/yr in Reserved Instances.
- Coordinate move of services to AWS Lambda, saving $20K a year, no longer needing c4.large instances to do compute.
- Save the company over $100K in software and licensing by negotiating and maintaining corporate contracts with vendors.
- Proactively research and recommend new technologies and systems for short-term and long-term solutions to address company’s business needs, and assist with driving software and service purchasing strategy.
- Create training and reference documentation on systems installation, operations and configuration, and procedures for technical and non-technical staff.
- Implement and train staff on good security practices. Offering phishing training and safe password management systems.
- Mentor, train, and lead team on technical projects, systems administration best practices, VMware and AWS tools.
- Manage projects and operations using Wrike, Jira, and Confluence; promote project management and collaboration among the IT team; create documentation for all current working systems.
Raytheon Secure Information Systems, Contract, El Segundo
March 2014 - September2015 Systems Administrator
Move and migrate large-scale dual production, Secret and Local, environments from one location to another. Architect and integrate applications into hosted services under mother company. Working with DOD incidents and secrecy.
- Coordinate large-scale move of critical production environment with over 100 servers from offsite satellite office into the main office campus, including: architecture migration plan, from shutdown and move, to re-rack and reconfiguration, power-on, and testing; creating risk assessment and failover plans for server move process; and working with application owners to create application migration plan.
- Implement SCCM patch management and event logging server.
- Re-establish and manage backup procedure and document backup processes and policies for auditing purposes.
- Create and maintain infrastructure documentation, including server, VM, and printer configurations.
- Lead resource for managing Windows 2003/2008/Ubuntu server infrastructure
- Manage several networks, including air-gaped & closed networks.
- Manage & troubleshoot VMware vCenter and vmdx files on blade servers.
- Troubleshoot and replace parts on EMC SAN systems and HP ProLiant systems from G2 to current.
- Train junior staff on workings of environment and new technologies.
- Work in PowerShell and create scripts to automate tasks; evaluate and recommend automation tools for use by the team
- Work with development team to support and document engineering software and requirements, including MKS, GIT, VSS, GreenHills, Mentor, ProcessMax, Doors, and more.