Currently a parser for XLS files. Cleanroom implementation from the Microsoft Open Specifications.
This has been tested on some basic XLS files generated from Excel 2011 (using compatibility mode).
If you need something that is not currently supported, file an issue and attach a sample file. I will get to it :)
In the browser:
The command-line utility
xls2csv shows how to generate a CSV from an XLS.
See http://oss.sheetjs.com/js-xls/ for a browser example.
bin/xls2csv for a node example.
CFB refers to the Microsoft Compound File Binary Format, a container format for XLS as well as DOC and other pre-OOXML data formats.
The mechanism is split into a CFB parser (which scans through the file and produces concrete data chunks) and a Workbook parser (which does excel-specific parsing).
.SheetNames is an ordered list of the sheets in the workbook
.Sheets[sheetname] returns a data structure representing the sheet
Test files are housed in another repo.
make init will refresh the
test_files submodule and get the files.
Please consult the attached LICENSE file for details. All rights not explicitly granted by the Apache 2.0 license are reserved by the Original Author.
It is the opinion of the Original Author that this code conforms to the terms of the Microsoft Open Specifications Promise, falling under the same terms as OpenOffice (which is governed by the Apache License v2). Given the vagaries of the promise, the Original Author makes no legal claim that in fact end users are protected from future actions. It is highly recommended that, for commercial uses, you consult a lawyer before proceeding.
XLSX is available in my js-xlsx project.
- [MS-CFB]: Compound File Binary File Format
- [MS-XLS]: Excel Binary File Format (.xls) Structure Specification
- [MS-XLSX]: Excel (.xlsx) Extensions to the Office Open XML SpreadsheetML File Format
- [MS-ODATA]: Open Data Protocol (OData)
- [MS-OFFCRYPTO]: Office Document Cryptography Structure
- [MS-OLEDS]: Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) Data Structures
- [MS-OLEPS]: Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) Property Set Data Structures
- [MS-OSHARED]: Office Common Data Types and Objects Structures
- [MS-OVBA]: Office VBA File Format Structure