The Big List of ActivityPub Projects!
W3 Quote: "The ActivityPub protocol is a decentralized social networking protocol. It provides a client to server API for creating, updating and deleting content, as well as a federated server to server API for delivering notifications and content."
Shlee Quote: "ActivityPub is the idea of splitting online services into tiny self hosted pieces - Turning privately owned services like twitter into thousands of little twitters, who are able to communicate with each other as you would expect - Giving power and control back to the many."
Alice is on Server A. Bob is on Server B. Alice sends a message to Bob. Server A sends the message to Server B. Bob gets notified of the message.
Alternatives to other Mainstream services
- None :(
- Mastodon - Ruby "Mainstream reference design"
- Pleroma - Elixir/Erlang "High Performance with seperated BE/FE design"
- Misskey - NodeJS "forever evolving, sophisticated microblogging platform" with lots of anime girls.
- Nextcloud Social - PHP "Nextcloud becomes part of the federated social networks!"
- microblog.pub - Python "self-hosted, single-user, ActivityPub powered microblog."
- Kibou - Rust "Mastodon-compatible server"
- Rustodon - Rust "Mastodon-compatible server"
Video Streaming (YouTube)
- PeerTube - NodeJS "Video streaming platform using P2P (BitTorrent) directly in the web browser with WebTorrent and Angular."
Image Sharing (Instagram)
- PixelFed - PHP "Free and ethical photo sharing platform"
- Anfora - Python "photo gallery social network"
- Funkwhale - NodeJS "self-hosted tribute to Grooveshark.com."
- Soundstorm - Ruby "Federated Social Music Platform."
- Reel2Bits - Python "Soundcloud-like but simple, easy and KISS (and ActivityPub)"
Link Sharing (Reddit)
- Prismo - Ruby/NodeJS "Federated link aggregation powered by ActivityPub."
- Littr.me - Go "Link aggregator inspired by reddit"
- Lemmy - Rust "federated alternative to reddit"
- Anancus - Go "self-hosted and federated social link aggregation."
Other ActivityPub enabled projects
- Pump.io - NodeJS "Social network"
- Distbin - NodeJS "Post bin with distributed social features."
- Hubzilla - PHP "powerful platform for creating interconnected websites."
- Dokieli - NodeJS "decentralised article publishing, annotations and social interactions."
- Aardwolf - Rust "Powering connected social communities"
- MeowCat2 - Python "federated blogging and social networking platform"
- socialhome - Python "federated personal profile"
- MobiliZon - Elixir "federated organization and mobilization platform. Gather people with a convivial, ethical, and emancipating tool."
- Lamia - Python "Distributed blogging, polls, and status updates powered by activitypub, python, the gay agenda, and snake women."
- Pubcast - Go "experimental ActivityPub based podcasting platform"
- Fedimos - NodeJS "End-to-End Encrypted & Decentralized Messaging Service for the Fediverse"
- pterotype - PHP "WordPress plugin that expands your audience by giving your site an ActivityPub stream"
Frameworks & Servers
- Little Boxes - Python "both database and server agnostic."
- PubGate - Python "Lightweight (Gotta Go Fast) ActivityPub federator."
- Clovis - Scala "totally a hobby project to learn new stuff at the moment so don't expect much"
- go-fed - Go "ActivityStreams & ActivityPub in golang, oh my! "
- Express ActivityPub - NodeJS "Reference implementation of an ActivityPub server using Express.js"
- pylodon - Python "Flask-based ActivityPub server"
- CommonsPub - Elixir "WIP on a generic ActivityPub server: http://CommonsPub.org"
- Bridgy Fed - connects IndieWeb sites with federated social networks.
- ActivityPub actor - importer from centralized non-ActivityPub social networks to ActivityPub capable ones.
- RSS to ActivityPub Converter - NodeJS - Convert any RSS feed to an ActivityPub actor that can be followed on ActivityPub-compliant social networks like Mastodon
- The “Worse Is Better” Approach to Federated Social Networking - by Kaniini (lead developers of Pleroma).
- Welcome to Thundertoot - by myself (Aus.Social Admin)