Silence (formerly SMSSecure) is an SMS/MMS application that allows you to protect your privacy while communicating with friends.
Using Silence, you can send SMS messages and share media or attachments with complete privacy.
- Easy. Silence works like any other SMS application. There's nothing to sign up for and no new service your friends need to join.
- Reliable. Silence communicates using encrypted SMS messages. No servers or internet connection required.
- Private. Silence uses the Signal encryption protocol to provide privacy for every message, every time.
- Safe. All messages are encrypted locally, so if your phone is lost or stolen, your messages are protected.
- Open Source. Silence is Free and Open Source, enabling anyone to verify its security by auditing the code.
Silence focuses on SMS and MMS. This fork aims to:
- Keep SMS/MMS encryption
- Drop Google services dependencies (push messages are not available in Silence)
- Integrate upstream bugfixes and patches from TextSecure
See CONTRIBUTING.md for how to contribute code, translations, or bug reports.
Instructions on how to setup a development environment and build Silence can be found in BUILDING.md.
We accept Bitcoin donations. This will help us to pay various costs (web hosting, domain name, etc.). Our Bitcoin address is:
Looking for documentation? Check out the wiki of the original project:
This distribution includes cryptographic software. The country in which you currently reside may have restrictions on the import, possession, use, and/or re-export to another country, of encryption software. BEFORE using any encryption software, please check your country's laws, regulations and policies concerning the import, possession, or use, and re-export of encryption software, to see if this is permitted. See http://www.wassenaar.org/ for more information.
Licensed under the GPLv3: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html