With this app, any device can get the heads-up notifications introduced in Android 5 “Lollipop”, no root required. And the popups actually look like those in Android Lollipop. But according to Addictivetips (and a lot of the users), this app “has done more than just replicate a feature of Lollipop. Even if you aren’t dying to try Lollipop and some of its new features, this app is worth a try“.
As you might have noticed, I don’t really have time to work on Heads-up anymore. Heads-up will keep working, but I won’t add any new features. Maybe someday in the future, but right now I’ve got too much other exciting stuff going on :)
I’d like to say thank you for using Heads-up, leaving over 30,000 awesome reviews on Google Play, sending me thousands of emails with feedback, and translating it into 30 languages. And of course a huge thank you to those who donated as well!
Seems like you’ve been busy telling your friends about Heads-up too, we’ve been getting over 1,000 new users daily for a total of almost 900,000 downloads!
I’d never be able to pull this off without you!
Looking for help? Scroll down to "Common Issues"
- Displays notifications as a floating popup
- Easily control which notifications to display
- Quick actions: mark messages as read in one tap (Android 4.1+, doesn't work with all devices and apps)
- Display the heads-up on lock screen as well
- Battery friendly! (Email me if you notice significant battery consumption after installing)
- Choose how long you want the notifications to display
- Pocket detection / active display (causes a tiny increase in battery usage if you get a ton of notifications)
- Display notifications on the lock screen until dismissed
- Privacy on the lock screen
- Multiple themes
- Choose popup positioning and opacity
- Don't display heads-up while using certain apps
- Display a popup for the currently playing song
- Compact/expandable mode
- Full notification
If you speak another language, I'd appreciate if you could help us translate this the app! Go to the Crowdin page
If no popups appear:
The universal problemsolver list
- Did you remember to enable the service by pressing the "Enable/disable" button and then setting Heads-up to ON in the next screen?
- Make sure the service actually is running. Does it show up under System Settings > Apps > Running?
- If not, reboot the phone. Does that help?
- [4.2 and earlier] Do you have any other accessibility services running? Some other services, like Pushbullet, blocks Heads-up from reading notifications.
- Uninstall the app completely, reboot the phone, and install it again. Make sure you are using the latest version. After enabling the service inside the app, reboot the phone.
- Allow more priority levels in the settings.
- Some phones block Heads-up from displaying popups. Check that "draw on top" or "display popups" is enabled in System Settings > Apps > Heads-up.
XIAOMI, ZTE and MIUI users:
Before you can use this app, you'll probably need to give it some slack when it comes to security.
- Go to System Settings > All > Apps > Downloaded > Heads-up notifications.
- Toggle the switch that says 'Show popup windows' (second option).
- At the bottom, go to 'Manage permissions'.
- Set 'I trust this app' to on.
It might also be necessary to reset the app data/settings.
While I don't have any Huawei devices to test this with, a user said the following works on Huawei Ascend P7:
Open the app 'phone manager', click settings in the top right corner. Select "dropzone management" and give the app permission.
If this doesn't work, try the instructions for XIAOMI/ZTE/MIUI users.
A fix for the "Don't disturb" and "Block current app" features is on its way.
This is a bug in Samsung's firmware. See post on my website. If you don't need Text-To-Speech, you can also go to System Settings > Apps > All, and disable everything with TTS or Text-To-Speech in the name.
If you find that the uninstall button is disabled, go to Settings > Security > Device administrators > Heads-up, and tap Disable.
Only one notification
Yup, that's right. Heads-up does only show one notification. Period. See issue #34.
Something I haven't covered here? I have answered all kinds questions in the issue tracker.
If your question hasn't been answered there (protip: use the search button),
feel free to ask! you're unfortunately out of luck (I don't provide support Heads-up anymore, see note at the top of this page).
*Let me know that you've tried the steps here when asking qustions. If you don't, the first thing you'll get is a link to this list.
Want to get in touch? Feel free to email me about anything else than questions about Heads-up.