MagicNumberType infers mime types from leading bits
- Doc: http://sixarm.com/sixarm_ruby_magic_number_type/doc
- Gem: http://rubygems.org/gems/sixarm_ruby_magic_number_type
- Repo: http://github.com/sixarm/sixarm_ruby_magic_number_type
- Email: Joel Parker Henderson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Magic numbers are the first bits of a file or data stream which uniquely identify the type of file or data stream.
For example when the first bits are "BM", this identifies the file as a bitmap image file.
For docs go to http://sixarm.com/sixarm_ruby_magic_number_type/doc
Want to help? We're happy to get pull requests.
gem install sixarm_ruby_magic_number_type
gem "sixarm_ruby_magic_number_type", "~>2.0", ">=2.0.2"
Install with security (optional)
To enable high security for all our gems:
wget http://sixarm.com/sixarm.pem gem cert --add sixarm.pem gem sources --add http://sixarm.com
To install with high security:
gem install sixarm_ruby_magic_number_type --trust-policy HighSecurity
This gem infers based on widespread programming conventions for data file formats.
These magic numbers are by convention and we are using this guide: http://www.astro.keele.ac.uk/oldusers/rno/Computing/File_magic.html
Typical uses of magic numbers:
- to quickly identify a file's data type
- to check if data matches the file's MIME type or extension
- to check if a web form file upload matches its HTTP content type
- MIME::Types ruby library
- Unix magic() command for testing files on disk
- 2015-01-05 2.0.2 Unify duplicate "MZ" to one value - thanks to Kip Cole
- 2015-01-04 2.0.1 Updates for Ruby 2.2: signing certificate, gemspec, tilde version
- 2012-09-08 2.0.0 Upgrade with more formats, samples, classes, and hex packing
- 2012-04-20 1.2.0 Upgrade to much faster algorithm
- 2012-03-14 1.1.0 Update docs, tests
You may choose any of these open source licenses:
- Apache License
- BSD License
- CreativeCommons License, Non-commercial Share Alike
- GNU General Public License Version 2 (GPL 2)
- GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)
- MIT License
- Perl Artistic License
- Ruby License
The software is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and noninfringement.
In no event shall the authors or copyright holders be liable for any claim, damages or other liability, whether in an action of contract, tort or otherwise, arising from, out of or in connection with the software or the use or other dealings in the software.
This license is for the included software that is created by SixArm; some of the included software may have its own licenses, copyrights, authors, etc. and these do take precedence over the SixArm license.
Copyright (c) 2005-2015 Joel Parker Henderson