Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Welcome to the Stellarium wiki, a knowledge website about Stellarium, the free planetarium for your computer. The wiki allows Stellarium users to collectively build the knowledge base about Stellarium, so if you have something to add, please edit the page.
Work In Progress
The stellarium wiki is in migration from our old mediawiki server to this new github wiki. Please help us migrate content here, but keep in mind that most of the old content needs to be updated before migrating.
TODO: this is already part of the User Guide, need to add proper links once we have an HTML version
- Quickstart guide
- User Guide
- Getting Stellarium's source code
- Compilation on Linux
- Compilation on Windows
- Compilation on Mac OS X
- Coding standard (off-wiki)
- Building and Developing Plugins
- Pull requests guideline
- Branching strategy
- Release Schedule
developers mailing list
Follow what's going on by reading our developers mailing list
We are using Transifex: https://www.transifex.com/stellarium/stellarium/dashboard/
There you can
- Translate Stellarium in your language
- Translate the homepage in your language
Summer of Code
- ESA Summer of Code in Space 2019?
Specific things you can do
- Tips for editing the wiki
Stellarium in Planetariums
- Dome projection with a spherical mirror: http://paulbourke.net/dome/stellarium/
- Control your telescope
- Telescope control compatibility
- A nice external tutorial to set up ASCOM telescopes: http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-setting-up-an-equatorial-mount-on-ascom-with-eqmod-stellarium-and-cartes-du-ciel.html
research and education
Extensions & Extras files
TODO: please remove obsolete stuff. It should be enough to say for the last version only how to install the files, and list the available files with URL where to download them
- Variable Stars
- Landscapes: There is an extensive set of Landscapes available for Stellarium at http://stellarium.org/en/landscapes.html. The set is currently being transferred from the older wiki at http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Landscapes. Some landscapes may not be available yet, so please consult both sites.
- Textures: Please visit old wiki at http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Textures. But TODO: THE FILES ARE MISSING!
- Nebula images
- Scripts: A nice collection of user-contributed scripts from the old wiki at http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Scripts has been transferred to the new repository at http://stellarium.org/scripts.html.
- Solar System Objects: Please use the Solar System Editor plugin to update orbital elements or minor planets and comets. The User Guide explains the data format if you want to write your own data.
- Sky cultures: See how people across the world look at the heavens above. Old page: http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Sky_cultures