Fertility Rate Explainer
This analysis spawned from my work looking at how fertility rates are communicated. It uses data from the Human Fertility Database and Human Mortality Database. You will have to register for and supply credentials for both to get the data, only slightly modifying my code.
The script will:
- Download the necessary data from HMD and HFD into an input folder in the project directory, creating it if necessary.
- Build the frames for an animated TFR-ASFR chart.
- Fit a fertility forecast model using the demography R package
- Build a chart of observed rates for select cohorts.
- Build a chart of the forecasted ASFR for the 1990 cohort