Platform Explorer game for the SMS Power! 2019 Competition.
Wednesday, 27th March 2019
Platform Explorer is a port of the XNA Platform starter kit for the Sega Master System.
Move left and right and fire1 to jump. Hold fire2 to reset player during play.
Easy or hard difficulty. Avoid all enemies + guards and watch out for the pits!
After feedback from the community, you can now choose game speed Slow [motion] or Fast.
Slow can intermittently go Fast if you move joystick up while running during game play.
Due to time constraints, there were previously only 20x levels. This has now increased to 40x!
There is capacity for 80-100 levels. Please let me know if you'd like to design some levels :)
- Programming: devkitSMS
- Compiler sdcc 3.6
- Languages: C / Z80
- Visual Studio 2015
- Graphics: BMP2Tile 0.43 / GIMP2 / paint.net
- Music: Mod2Psg2 / VGM2PSG
- Assembler: WLA-DX
- Emulators: Emulicious / Fusion / Meka
You can hack this ROM!
Download and dump PlatformExplorer.sms into Hex Editor, e.g. HxD, and modify the bytes:
- 0x004F DelaySpeed Used during dev disables screen delays.
- 0x0050 Invincible Non-zero value enables auto invincible.
- 0x0051 Difficulty Set value to 1=Hard otherwise use Easy.
- 0x0052 Game Speed Set value to 1=Slow otherwise use Fast.
- 0x0053 World No. Set start world no to zero-based value.
- 0x0054 Round No. Set start round no to zero-based value.
- 0x0055 Music Off Set 0=music to play otherwise disabled.
- 0x0056 Sound Off Set 0=sound to play otherwise disabled.
- 0x0057 Enemy move Set value non-zero to disable movement.
Player will receive free man for every 20x gems collected during game.
Player will also receive bonus 5x gems on collecting all gems in level.
Press button 2 five times on Start screen and you'll be invincible each game this is actioned.
Press button 2 three times while holding down on Difficulty screen to navigate to select screen.
Press and hold button 2 during game play to reset player to original starting spot in the level.
Press and hold button 2 while holding down to secretly quit out game back to the Start screen.
Extra special thanks to: sverx for devkitSMS https://github.com/sverx/devkitSMS
Plus shout out to eruiz00 as I used many programming tricks from "Astro Force"
Also, I used a lot of programming tricks from haroldoop's various code samples.
As always, thanks goes to:
Maxim, Martin, Ville Helin, Steve Snake, Bock + Calindro
- You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvIsqWOdm2g
- You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPIeLNv6JGA
Some extra sound effects could be cool plus more animations e.g. when you pass each level.
Links to documentation on games written for the Sega Master System using devkitSMS:
StevePro Studios is an independent game developer that builds and publishes 80s retro arcade video games!
Founded by Steven Boland "SteveProXNA" (Jan-2007) a "one man team of one" currently based in Dublin, Ireland.
Previous Sega-based retro games published include:
"3D City" available here:
"Candy Kid" available here: