Neptune is a fast, lightweight, easy-to-use content management system written in PHP.
It's no secret that there are plenty of content management systems out there, and so you'd think that almost every need would be covered.
Unfortunately we've found that this isn't the case, as many content management systems tend to cater to a specific niches — blogging, discussion or ecommerce, to name a few.
So to combat this oversaturation, we've developed Neptune as a multipurpose content management framework — meaning an end-user can do nearly anything without having to utilize "hacks" in their code, as other systems often require.
- Extensive Support — We understand that different people have different environments and requirements with their web-hosting, and thus we've opted to support as many different web-servers and database backends as possible. (Currently: MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite3).
- Powerful Theming — While our default theme is based upon Twitter's Bootstrap 2, with improvements such as adaptive CSS (try visiting our site with your smartphone), Neptune's look and feel can be completely customised to your tastes via our theming system.
- Light and Scalable — By only running code that needs to be run, and refactoring whenever and wherever possible, Neptune's execution time is only describable as being blazingly fast. Additionally Neptune includes support for numerous caching and load-balancing systems.
- Highly Modular — Neptune has been built from the ground up to be customisable in every way, by only running what is essential for operation. Everything else is outsourced to modules, which we've implemented to allow rapid, easy development. All the official modules and several example modules are included, and many more will be made available for seperate download. Think of Neptune as being a next-generation framework, as well as a content management system.
- Buzzword Friendly — NEXT GENERATION MODULAR THEMABLE FLUID RESPONSIVE WEB 2.0 CLOUD DESIGN WITH AJAX, NODE.JS, JAVA, AND DHTML AND A FRAMEWORK IN HTML5. - @tiffany352
Neptune is currently developed and maintained by several members of the StormBit Development Team (StormDEV), these are:
- Alex "ReimuHakurei" Ingram — Project Manager and Lead Developer.
- Karen "angelXwind" Tsai — Developer and Tester.
- Alex "Antoligy" Wilson — Developer and Tester.
- Alex "ArghArgh200" Mitchel — Module Developer and Tester.
Neptune's official development IRC channel is #Neptune on the StormBit IRC Network. The network also provides webchat which can be accessed here. New commits are broadcast to the channel via Notifico.