This is the source of DOStodon, a Mastodon client for MS-DOS.
- You need a VM, real HW or DOSBox-staging with a network card and a matching packet driver to use it.
- A Pentium 133 or faster with at least 32MiB of RAM is recommended.
- Packet drivers can e.g. be found on packetdriversdos.net (make sure to download the driver from the "PC/TCP PACKET DRIVERS" section) or on crynwr.com or www.georgpotthast.de
- You don't need any TCP/IP stack, Watt32 is compiled into the program and directly uses the packet driver
- Make sure you read the section about the limitations!
- see "DOSBox-staging config" below for an example config that works (for me) with DOSBox-staging
Just download the whole repository.
DOStodon <server> <email> <password>
server: the URL of the server you want to connect to (e.g.
https://bitbang.social). Can be with or without
Preferences -> Accountpage in the web).
password: Your server password. 2FA is not supported. Your password should not contain any non 7bit ASCII characters.
DOStodon mastodon.social firstname.lastname@example.org 123abcABC
The access tokens are stored in
CREDS.JSN if the login is successful.
If you want DOStodon to use a proxy you have to set the following ENV variables:
PROXY_HOST: HTTP proxy to use. The parameter should be a string holding the host name or dotted IP address. To specify port number in this string, append :[port] to the end of the host name. The proxy string may be prefixed with [protocol]:// since any such prefix will be ignored. The proxy's port number may optionally be specified with the separate function SetProxyPort().
PROXY_PORT: Pass a port number with this option to set the proxy port to connect to unless it is specified in the proxy string using PROXY_HOST.
PROXY_TYPE: set this to
SOCKSto use a SOCKS proxy. If unset or set to anything else a HTTP proxy is asumed.
ESC: Quit DOStodon
h/H/?: Help screen
F1: Switch to home timeline
F2: Switch to notifications
F3: Switch to hashtag timeline
F4: Switch to local timeline
F5: Switch to global timeline
F6: Switch to bookmarks list (last 40)
F7: Switch to favourites list (last 40)
F10: Switch to Toot composer
F11: Info screen
F12: Poll/Refresh home/notification timelines
UP/DOWN, Page UP/DOWN, HOME/END: scroll entries in home/notifications
p: Show profile of currently selected entry (for boosts the boosters profile)
P: Show profile of currently selected entry (for boosts the original profile)
CTRL-S: Save screenshot as PNG. Screenshots are numbered, starting with
CTRL-P: Search for a user/profile. The profile is displayed when pressing
CTRL-C: Show config dialog
DEL: close dialog
b: Boost/reblog currently selected toot in home screen
B: UN-Boost/reblog currently selected toot in home screen
f: Favorite/like currently selected toot in home screen
F: UN-Favorite/like currently selected toot in home screen
m: Bookmark currently selected toot in home screen
M: UN-Bookmark currently selected toot in home screen
r: reply to selected toot in home screen
d: Print JSON of selected toot in home screen to logfile
c: Toggle toots with content warning
1..4: show media attachment 1 to 4. Any key to close.
5: show show YouTube preview image. Any key to close.
CTRL-1..4: show image description of media attachment 1 to 4. Any key to close.
ENTER: show thread view of current entry,
BACKSPACEto return to timeline.
CTRL-B: Toggle toots&boosts, boosts only, toots only
CTRL-M: Toggle showing posts with media only
t: change tag
ENTER: confirm tag in tag editor
BACKSPACE: delete character in tag editor
l: Toggle showing of favorites
b: Toggle showing of boosts
f: Toggle showing of follows
m: Toggle showing of mentions
o: Toggle showing of other notifications
SPACE: Reset all filters
CTRL-ENTER: Send toot in Toot editor
CTRL-P: Open account search, ENTER puts the selected account into the toot
BACKSPACE: delete character
DEL: delete toot composer text and reply-to toot
TAB: switch toot visibility between
INSERT: Image selector for image attachments to the toot.
ENTER: close profile
T: Write toot to account
- DOStodon is busy while the Mastodon logo is displayed in middle of the screen. Don't hit keys like crazy, every keypress will be queued :)
- DOStodon polls home/notifications every 5 minutes for new entries. Countdown is in the lower right corner.
- To add a content warning/spoiler to a toot start the toot with "cw:". The first line of the toot will be the content warning, all subsequent lines will be the body text of the toot.
- If you press DOWN on the last entry in home/notifications older entries are fetched.
- Favourite/boost/bookmark status ([FBM]) is displayed below the profile picture of each toot.
- The selected hashtag is displayed in the upper right corner of the hashtag timeline.
- When first selecting the hashtag timeline you have to enter a hashtag.
- 2FA is not supported right now!
- logging in with passwords that contain characters outside 7bit ASCII might not be possible
- HTTPS requests can take quite a lot of time, be patient!
- Can't play videos/audio
- Image attachements are just drawn at the upper left corner
- No support for HTML tags, they are (badly) filtered out
- No support for emojis (replaced by spaces)
- No support for characters like umlauts, etc.
- The toot composer only supports BACKSPACE, it is not a real text editor.
- Bookmarks and favourites do not support pagination (yet).
- NO REAL TESTING/QUALITY ASSURANCE! Folks, this is a fun project, if you need a production ready client contribute or use something real! If it works for you, it works, but don't blame me for broken commits or missing features...
The source is split into several files right now:
home.jsthe home timeline
info.jsinfo screen display
mstdn.jscontains the Mastodon REST API
notific.jsthe notification timeline
dialogs.jsall input fields
filsel.jsimage file selector
DOStodon is implemented using DOjS native API (no p5js emulation). Network operations block the input processing/rendering.
DO NOT use DOSBox-X right now, it has a known bug in file io which creates broken SQLite databases DOSBox-staging has a problem with mouse support, thats why I disabled that in the example config!
dosbox-staging.conf looks like this:
[sdl] capture_mouse = nomouse [dosbox] memsize = 64 [cpu] cputype = pentium_slow cycles = max [ethernet] ne2000 = true nicbase = 300 nicirq = 3 macaddr = AC:DE:48:88:99:AA [autoexec] mount c E:\_DEVEL\GitHub\DOStodon PATH=d:;%PATH% c: ne2000 0x60 3 0x300
- Look into character-encoding again
- Busy indicator is missing for some network operations
- Same network errors lead to an endless loop
- Color themes?
- invert timeline (oldest post on top)
- ALT text for image uploads
- Fix bugs
- Have fun
- highlight DMs in timeline and notifications
- added visibility options to toot editor
- added visibility to toot display
- Added proxy support through ENV variables
- Updated DOjS to curl-8.2.0
- fixed drive letter detection in the file selector
- file selector cursor start position is between drives and files now
- fixed 'parent' handling in file selector
- accept HTTP status 206 for home timeline
- recompiled DOjS with GCC 12.2 and DJGPP CVS (fixes SSL/date bug AGAIN)
- added YouTube video preview
- added image upload/attachment to toots
- newly polled entries in home and notifications screens are now highlighted red
- Fixed a bug with displaying boosted toots when they had a content warning
- Moved filter display in notifications to lower left
- Added filtering of Toot-types to timelines: boosts, original toots and media attachments
- Updated to DOjS 1.11alpha with mbedTLS 2.28.3 and curl 8.0.1
- view the timeline of an account by pressing
F3on the profile screen
- updated DOjS, now using mbedTLS 2.28.2
- Help pages will now also be displayed when pressing
- Enabled auto_vacuum for SQLite image cache.
- Added rainbow colors to the thread view.
- Reduced indentation in thread view.
- Added highligting of "root" entry in thread view.
- You can now press
RETURNin thread view to see details of displayed children.
- Added configuration dialog (press
CTRL-C) and config saving to
- Changed some colors
CTRL-Wto load/save the timeline position is still work in progress!
- Profile view now shows the header image as well
- You can toot to the profile owner now by pressing
- DOStodon now returns to the calling screen after replying to a toot
- CTRL-P in the editor lets you search for an account
- Added "reply" marker
- Improved thread view and search dialog
- Implemented indentation and lines for toot context view (threads)
- Toots and notifications now show the time in a more readable fashion as a relative time.
- Added type filter for notifications
- Updated DOjS, new curl, new jpeg decoder and bugfixes
- Tinkered a little bit on the splash screen
- You can now press
tto select a hashtag from the current toot and display the hashtags timeline
- You can now press
F2in profile view to show a list of followers/following accounts.
- Added 'LOCKED' and 'BOT' info to profile screen.
- Used a smaller font for timeline timestamps and toot stats
- You can now search for a user (profile) by pressing
- Lots of small internal optimizations, especially text rendering
- New, experimental word wrapping algorithm with support for coloring hashtags and handles
- Reworked the "login" section in the README
- You can now save PNG screenshots using
- Added scroll indicators
vat the very right of the screen
- Added thread view for toots.
- Fixed bug with toggling content warnings on toots with no spoiler text
- Added image description viewing
- Added help screen when pressing
- Added local timeline
- Added global timeline
- Added hashtag timeline
- Added 'view bookmarks'
- Added 'view favorites'
- Added text input field
- Reworked sidebar
- Added auto refresh countdown
- Fixed issue with the image cache
- Fixed issue with profile screen follow/block/mute function
- Fixed wrong sound being played
- Added Makefile to create DOSTODON.ZIP
- Added follow/mute/block info to profile screen
- Added (un) follow/mute/block keys to profile screen (yet untested)
- Updated README regarding DOSBox (switched from DOSBox-X to DOSBox-staging)
- Added UnBoost and UnFav
- Added Bookmarks
- Added boost/fav/bookmark markers
- Added splash screen
- Added SQLite based image cache. Images are deleted from cache after 28 days.
- Updated README regarding DOSBox-X
- Added debug timestamp during startup
- Fixed 486 incompatibility (hopefully)
- Switched compiler for DOjS from GCC 7.2.0 to 12.2.0
- Added UTC date of toots
- Fixed a time() bug in DOjS and re-enabled certificate validation.
- Switched from nanojpeg to libjpeg to be able to load progressive JPEGs
- Added toot stat display to home screen
- Disabled TLS/SSL certificate verification for now. DOStodon is not able to verify the certificate of https://mastodon.social anymore and I need to dive deeper into the reason for that.
- Added Page UP/DOWN and HOME/END to home and notifications
- Added content warnings/spoilers to the toot composer
- Added fetching of older entries when viewing home/notifications
- Fixed a memory corruption in DOjS
- Images are no longer saved into TMP files
- Images are now scaled to fit the screen when displayed
- implemented LRU cache for images
- fixed some quirks with key handlings
- DOjS now uses cURL 7.86.0
- Blurhash is now implemented in C
<CW>for content warnings, you can toggle the toot with
- added media indicator for non-images (e.g.
- added JS based blurhash
- implemented connection reuse
- you can now reply to toots by pressing R
- you can now clear the toot-composer by pressing DEL
- improved display of boosted toots
- added sounds
- DOjS now uses mbedTLS instead of OpenSSL
- changed display of user handles
- added info screen
- reworked Mastodon-API, prepared it to re-use cURL objects (doesn't work yet)
- now shows a busy indicator when fetchingt iages during scrolling
- disabled alpha channel to speed up rendering
- code cleanup
- several fixes all over the place
- added splash screen
- added entry scrolling
- added manual reload with F5
- changed polling time from 1min to 5min
- added profile viewer
- added media preview
- added media showing
- added liking
- added boosting
- added "busy" indicator
- added some help in README.md
- first working version
- first public release
- didn't work