Be notified of new releases
Create your free GitHub account today to subscribe to this repository for new releases and build software alongside 50 million developers.Sign up
Migration to XAML/MVVM is complete
This version applies to Windows 8 and 10 only
Windows 7 is no longer supported (apart from key checking) .
It does not have all functionality of the original (WinPE, CLI etc.) yet
- Added the About page
- Fixed "More.." button display when no additional installations available
Update: 64-bit Version 126.96.36.1996 / 32-bit Version 188.8.131.521
- Fixed Key masking and a bunch of other stuff
- Changed to Store version logo
Update: 64-bit Version 184.108.40.206874 / 32-bit Version 220.127.116.11887
- Added Accent colour gradient to menu mouse over
- Added number of installations found by auto-discovery to 'More...'
- Added to saved file a notification if generic key
- Progress ring when searching via More.. or Retrieve key functions
- General code optimisation
Update: 64-bit Version 18.104.22.16869 / 32-bit Version 22.214.171.12442
- Added Dark mode compatibility
- If "Default app mode" is set to Dark in Colours settings
- or can be user initiated by double-clicking Version in About
Update: 64-bit Version 126.96.36.199696 / 32-bit Version 188.8.131.52651
- Fixed Key masking of non-Key returns
Update: 32-bit Version 184.108.40.20605
- Fixed crash when no additional installations found.
Note: This is a Debug version that contains a crash reporting tool that will get marked as a Trojan by AV's
---it's not meant for general use.
Update: 32-bit Version 220.127.116.11129 / 64-bit Version 18.104.22.168140
- Removed debugging code
- No engines detected this file
Update: 32-bit Version 22.214.171.12446 / 64-bit Version 126.96.36.19940
- Added Accent brightness
Update: 32-bit Version 188.8.131.5243 / 64-bit Version 184.108.40.20660
- Added exception handing retrieving additional installation data (via More.. or Retrieve key functions)
- Added improved Windows 7 edition checking with notification of expected delayed response
Update: 32-bit Version / 64-bit Version 220.127.116.11160
- Removed border from textboxes on mouse over
- Changed message box to window text reporting Win 7 edition in progress
- Added High Contract compatibility
- Increased opacity of Accent gradient
- Fixed collapsing Home indicator
- Added Accent brightness to Check progress bar
Update: 32-bit Version / 64-bit Version 18.104.22.16817
- Added Current Build in registry to version check due to Windows 10 1909 having inconsistent Build numbers
- Added thread cancellation tokens
Update: 32-bit Version / 64-bit Version 22.214.171.124538
- Updated Default product key list
Update: 32-bit Version / 64-bit Version 126.96.36.199600
- Updated Original key retrieval
Update: 32-bit Version / 64-bit Version 188.8.131.52662
- Additional updates to Original key retrieval (More... and Retrieve functions)
Update: 32-bit Version / 64-bit Version 184.108.40.206663
- Added logic to distinguish between the Original key in previous Windows versions and the new location (HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\Source OS (Updated on dd mm yyyy hh:mm:ss)
Update: 32-bit Version 220.127.116.11415
- Added Upgrade button to iterate upgrades
Update: 32-bit Version 18.104.22.168420
- Improved drive collection for "More" list
Update: 32-bit Version / 64-bit Version 22.214.171.124987
- Added remaining MAK count checking (requires internet access)
- Added Transparency
Update: 32-bit Version / 64-bit Version 126.96.36.199000
- Migrated to .Net Core (requires Core 3.1 desktop runtime installed)
- Added Italian language (special thanx to @bovirus for excellent translation)
- CLI mode support in WinPE
- Windows 7 hive accessibility
- The standard help switch in CLI mode (-h, /? etc)
- Uses offreg.dll's (consistent with UWP version)
- Saving key info from GUI
- in WinPE saves directly to executable path
- else expanded to include Word and Excel file types
This version applies to Windows 8 and 10 only
Windows 7 is no longer supported (apart from key checking).
It does not have WinPE, CLI functionality - please continue using ShowKeyPlus Version: 1.0.7060 for those features
- Re-design to be consistent with Store version
- "More" and "Upgrades" search for additional and previous installations respectively.
- Correction: Loading hives is NOT fixed yet - even with the change from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to HKEY_USERS (loading hives can only be done with elevation which is not allowed - need to implement an alternate method)
- Removed elevation
- Fixed dll compile error.
- Signed Appx
Fixed offline registry access (using offreg.dll)
It will redirect to Regback folder with auto-discovery (forward arrow) - if a permissions error occurs accessing config/SOFTWARE
The config/SOFTWARE hive is owned by BUILTIN/Administrators which cannot be accessed by standard user - whereas the Regback/SOFTWARE hive is owned by System which can.
- Added Windows build version and architecture.
- Fixed disabled menu links when returning to the main screen subsequent to an error from auto-discovery.
- Fixed "Retrieve key from backup" not displaying correct installation.
- Updated error message to specify to re-launch as Admin if access to hive denied.
Added key checking support for new editions in October 2018 update
Over-ride the MAK key removal display ("BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB") with explanatory text.
32-bit and 64-bit now have the same versioning with the architecture displayed with version build.
- Fixed an issue where the app crashed if insufficient permissions present
- Added High Contrast theme compatibility
- Added exception handling routines
Find your Windows product key with ShowKeyPlus.
Applies to Windows 7, 8 and 10
Your product key depends on the type of Windows version you bought:
• If you bought Windows from an authorized retailer, the product key will only show as the Installed key. This applies to OEM System Builder keys as well.
• If you upgraded Windows, the Original key will be the key installed prior to the upgrade. NB if you upgrade to Windows 10 for free, you'll receive a unique ‘digital entitlement’ instead of a product key. The key displayed will be a generic key in that case.
• If you bought a new PC running Windows, the product key will be pre–installed on your PC and the key will be included in the firmware in the case of Windows 8 or 10 - or as an OEM marker, in the case of previous versions. The OEM key will display the key in the case of the former, or whether your PC was built for Windows Vista or Windows 7.
• Apart from the key, the associated Edition of each key is displayed below it.
• Should you have a backup which includes a Windows folder, the key from that installation (as well as the previously installed key, if that installation was an upgrade), can be retrieved using the Retrieve key from backup link.
• In order to verify the edition your key is associated with, use the Check product key link to confirm the edition to which that key is associated.