Its finally here, after popular demand. This release enables support for Windows. See below for an installer exe.
Note that there hasn't been extensive testing done yet so this should be regarded as beta quality.
There also some missing features, notably:
- No broadcast feature
- Window can't be resized by edge bumping
Note that FFMPFG isn't included but is required for certain features. You will be prompted to download this if/when needed.
Introducing Tauon Satellite
This feature allows for using Tauon running on another PC as a network source. (Experimental)
In addition, network tracks can now be transcoded to local storage using the "Transcode Folder" feature. Transcoded tracks will now be used as a fallback when the primary source is offline.
Currently just basic playback works, but more features may be added in the future.
Reloaded artist info panel
The artist panel has been given a tuneup, restoring support for artist images from Last.fm (now uses scraping). Toggling the artist info panel is now done using Ctrl + o.
Note: To keep load to a minimum, fetching images from last.fm has been disabled for the artist list panel, but will still use images that have been obtained via the artist info panel.
- Removed samplerate output config option. (now automatically detects)
- Removed output buffer size option. (subject to further tweaking)
- Theme files will now accept colours in hex values.
- Some default keyboard shortcuts have changed.
- The lock playlist feature has now been hidden. (deprecated, subject to feedback)
- The Discogs artist image feature has been hidden. (deprecated, subject to feedback)
Welcome to v7.2.0
This one has taken a little while. But with the many subtle fixes and improvements, Tauon is really starting to become a polished app!
On becoming a supporter
It can be pretty painful to donate to your favourite projects when you don't feel like you're directly getting anything for it. Our R&D team has been hard at work finding a way to get you something extra without flying in the face of free software ideals. With that in mind, we have a result, a new supporters exclusive theme!
Introducing a new theme: Charmed (supporter exclusive
Charmed is a gorgeous new deep red theme featuring Rizumu the witch, your new magical music companion!
Will you let her charm her way into your heart?
This theme is available for sponsors on tier 2 or higher. If you'd like to join, see my GitHub sponsors page here.
Gallery singles thumbnail style
Folders of singles now have a new stacked thumbnail style in the gallery. This is a little experimental and may need some further tweaking. Let me know what you think.
Removal of GStreamer backend
Big change with this release is the removal of the GStreamer backend. The new Phazor backend is about 2 years old now and in that time has shaved a lot of its rough edges. Its still not perfect, but at this point, I have lost interest in maintaining the GStreamer backend.
This means that the Phazor backend is now the default and only backend. The Phazor branding in the UI has been removed, so it can just be considered part of Tauon without need of distinction.
- Improved behaviour of (jump) track crossfade. It now fades out immediately and fixes an issue with stuttering on IO delay.
- There are now settings for
resample-quality. (For the average user there's probably no need to change these.)
- There is a new setting
volume-curvein the config file. It still uses non-linear by default, but you can now change it to linear.
- Added native Wavpack decoding. (Using the correction file is now defined behaviour.)
- Added new generator code
pxto exclude playlists of tracks.
- Restored Spotify feature support. (Due to consideration from user feedback.)
- Fixed delay/freeze on changing audio output device.
- Mini modes are now launch-able from shuffle-lockdown mode.
- Themes can now be organised into subfolders.
- You can now use Ctrl + m to toggle mute.
- There's now an 'auto` mode for Replay Gain that automatically switches between track and album gain depending on shuffle mode.
- Various other fixes and tweaks.
Network streaming cache system
This update brings a reworked network file cache system. This rework brings the following changes:
- Implemented a pre-emptive caching mechanism that should improve gapless playback reliability.
- You can now enable caching for local files. This is useful for playing from SMB/NFS mounts on slower connections.
- There's now an option to persistently store cached tracks up to a given limit. Using this may improve app performance, particularly if you often repeat playing the same albums.
If you use streaming in Tauon, let me know what you think of this feature.
[Flatpak] Codec support changes
Support for the codecs WMA and APE is no longer included with the base Flatpak install of Tauon. These codecs now require an external optional add-on package. To install this just run:
flatpak install org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg-full//21.08
Codec support for TTA has been lost. Let me know if anyone used this codec.
[AUR] JPEG XL support
Experimental JPEG XL support has been added to make it possible to read album art in this format. For this you'll need to install the new optional dependency
python-jxlpy (AUR). Not yet included with Flatpak install.
v7.1.1 Its better now edition
- There are now new indicators on tabs when dragging tracks to show if any track is in that playlist already (yellow) or if the playlist is a generator playlist therefore can't add tracks (red).
- There is now a function prompt under MENU to clean the database. You should click this if you see it to cut down on unnecessary load times.
- HiDPI scaling setting now applies changes immediately without needing restart.
- [Wayland] UI will now try automatically scale when moving between monitors (Experimental)
- [Phazor] Internet radio stations start faster. (Reduced the initial buffer size)
- [Phazor] Possibly fixed some various rare issues with internet radio.
- Spotify support.
The main issue is the search provided by the API being somewhat useless. If you still used this feature then please get in touch and submit feedback.
New feature: Playlist export locations
This dialogue can be accessed by going to a playlist tab right click > "Export...". It provides the following new functionality:
- Can set a location to export the playlist to.
- Can chose to automatically save on changes.
- Can chose to save playlist using relative file paths.
- Can export as M3U.
New feature: Chromecast streaming (Experimental)
There is now a setting to show a track context menu option that starts a stream from that location in the playlist, and points your Chromecast to it. For more information see the wiki page here.
AUR Users: New optional dependency
- Added new shuffle lockdown mode: Shuffle Lockdown Albums. Remember you can access this by right clicking the shuffle button.
- Added new gen code
iafor ordering by albums imported.
- Removed lyrics provider LyricWiki. Turns out that site has been dead for years. So no point in having it any more. I've added a new provider lyrics.ovh but its kind of crap.
- [Phazor] Fixed various file types not working when loading from a network server.
The radio UI update
This update features an overhauled internet radio UI. The interface has now become its own layout view rather than a overlay box. You can switch to it using the view switcher shown when clicking MENU.
Notable additions are the support for station thumbnail icons and support for multiple "Lists" (i.e playlists for radios). Also the process for adding and removing stations has been simplified. Another change is that recorded tracks are now imported to a playlist automatically.
Note: Any previous saved stations will be carried over, but they wont have thumbnails. You'll need to re-save the stations from the station browser to get thumbnails.
Note: The radio record setting has been moved to page 4 of Settings > Function.
Also added Gensokyo Radio to the list of supported stations with album art. You can find a list of these stations in Tauon by holding the shift key when viewing the station browser to reveal a secret button.
In the radio layout:
➕to manually enter a new station from a raw URL.
🔍to show the station browser where you can enter a search to a public database.
⭐when shown to save the currently playing station to the current list.
- You can create radio lists using the top panel as you would with a normal playlist. Radio lists are only shown when in the radio layout.
- You can drag to re-arrange stations in the currently viewed list.
Known Issue: Sometimes starting a station fails and you need to restart Tauon before audio can be played again.
- Jellyfin server side love/unlove (favourite) is now supported.
Warning: Initial re-scan of Jellyfin library will cause local love on any Jellyfin tracks to be erased.
- Export and import of M3U playlists is now supported.
- Added new generator code
fsto find exact string segment matches.
Upgraders to v7.0.0 will notice a one off donation prompt. I really don't like adding nags/self-promotion, but I need to balance that with what's fair. Feel free to let me know what you think.