Mirza Arabic Font Project
Mirza is a body text typeface based on the Naskh script, with 4 different weights. The design aims to observe the rules of Arabic and Persian aesthetics with the help of ligatures. All Arabic and Persian readers are familiar with the shapes of Mirza's characters, and they are comfortable for reading long texts. Unlike many other Arabic fonts, Mirza includes a Latin typeface designed for harmony with the Arabic to make it useful for multilingual texts.
At the Live Testing Page you can test the fonts in the browser.
If you like the live testing page see Online Font Project.
There are some PDF Testing documents.
To build the font files:
- fontTools: https://github.com/behdad/fonttools
- AFDKO (makeotf): http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/afdko.html
- python-fontforge (
>>> import fontforge): http://fontforge.github.io
- defcon ufo3 branch: https://github.com/typesupply/defcon/tree/ufo3
- unicodedata2: https://github.com/mikekap/unicodedata2
To build the pdf testing documents:
- latexmk: https://www.ctan.org/pkg/latexmk/
- texlive (xetex): https://www.tug.org/texlive/ (http://xetex.sourceforge.net/)
Build the fonts:
or run the build script directly
This will create all files in the
You should have created/updated the fonts in
Fonts. See above.
.Path/to/Mirza$ make preparedoc .Path/to/Mirza$ make doc
This will generate pdf files in
Mirza was designed using Glyphs.
The source files are in the
Mirza 2 Masters.glyphs and
*.ufo (for kerning) files generated by Glyphs (with production names)
in the build process. The files are located in the
The build process merges the Arabic and Latin sources and generates OT-features for them.
GSUB features are defined in the
*.fea files in
GPOS features are generated on the fly from the files in
mkmk are taken from the
kern is created from the
Credits and License
- Arabic font design: Kourosh Beigpour
- Latin font design: Eduardo Tunni
- font engineering: Lasse Fister
License: SIL OPEN FONT LICENSE
Copyright 2015, 2016 KB-Studio (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Copyright 2015, 2016 Lasse Fister (email@example.com).
Copyright 2015, 2016 Eduardo Tunni(firstname.lastname@example.org).