Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Recommendation for choosing the GPS GNSS element
- lets split GPS Modules and GPS Antenna, because it's a different thing's, but can be as one element called - "GPS"
- Global Positioning System (GPS) - was created and realized by the USA. GPS also known as NAVSTAR GPS.
- GLONASS/ГЛОНАСС - was created by and realized by Soviet Union now it's belong to the Russian Federation.
- Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) - a satellite navigation system is a system of satellites that provide autonomous geo-spatial positioning with global coverage. For now - only the United States NAVSTAR GPS and the Russian GLONASS are global operational GNSSs.
- maximum precision you get from GPS element's with price below 1000$ is 2.0-2.5 meters. Interesting why - read below.
Mostly you can buy a GPS/GNSS element with or without compass built on U-Blox modules. On today U-Blox (01/2015) propose 3 series:
- 6 generation - only GPS
- 7 generation - GPS or GLONASS (it can work only with GPS or GLONASS, not GPS+GLONASS togeather!)
- 8 generation - GPS and GLONAS (GPS+GLONASS) also all this generation work with SBAS - but mostly precision of that systems is not enough for the UAVs, so this parameter we will not describe here.
All this generation have product's line like - NEO, LEA, MAX and else. My recommendation to buy NEO product line - because all parameters almost identical except price, if not - than mostly of that parameters be unused or unneeded it in UAV's - NEO product line is the cheapest and the best for our needs.
NEO product line have sub lines that marks with letters - M, L, Q, P. We choose M, else sub lines has almost the same parameters but how I said before it will be unused or unneeded.
Summary: you must buy NEO-6M series or NEO-M8 series.
If you want know some more about accuracy - you can continue to read here.