Table of contents
- Awesome tech for good projects
- Online directories
- Accelerators, incubators and fellowships
- Agencies and consultancies
- Regular meetups and events
Awesome tech for good projects
- A11Y - community-driven effort to make web accessibility easier.
- Chayn DIY Online Safety Guide - open source guide to help protect online accounts against harassment and stalkers.
- Free Code Camp nonprofit email service - helping nonprofits manage their email campaigns without having to use third party services.
- HelpText - open source app for SMS managment in nonprofit organisations.
- Humanitarian Open Street Map - open, free map data for humanitarian aid and development.
- Open Bionics - open source initiative for the development of affordable, light-weight, modular robot and prosthetic hands.
- CharityBase - comprehensive database of 350,000 charities + an open source API.
- Rapid SMS - open source framework for building interactive SMS applications, integrating with Django to provide a rich reporting interface. Created by the Innovation Team at UNICEF.
- Smart Elect - SMS voter registration, plus web and mobile tools that improve data accuracy, transparency, and visual reporting across the elections process.
- Tech Forward - collection of tech-focused projects organisations and tools working for social progress.
- Wayfindr - open standard of audio navigation for vision impaired people (+ demo iOS app).
- Wevolver - hardware projects repository hosting service. Robotics, drones, 3D printers etc.
- +SocialGood - global community inspired by the Social Good Summit.
- Beehive Giving - funder recommendation and eligibility-checking platform.
- Digital Social Innovation EU - showcase your project, meet collaborators and find funding.
- Social Tech Guide - largest database of global tech for good.
- Tech for Good Global - shining a light on the people & technology making our world better.
- The Toolbox - curated list of digital tools for humanitarian work.
- Civic Tech - tools that empower citizens.
Accelerators, incubators and fellowships
- Bethnal Green Ventures, London UK - for tech for good startups, invests £15,000 for 6% equity.
- CARE ScaleXDesign, New York, NY - to combat and reduce the underlying causes of poverty and social injustice.
- Digital Impact, Paris, France - 10-month programme for tech for good startups 3 years old or younger
- Dotforge, Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds, UK - for startups and social enterprises in the North of England.
- EPIC Cambodia, - Phnom Penh, Cambodia - 1-year Impact Hub programme supporting Cambodian tech for good startups with $20,000.
- Fast Forward, US - equipping tech nonprofits with the financial and human capital necessary to scale
- Fuse, UK - product accelerator for established nonprofits, run by CAST.
- The Engine, Boston, MA - MIT's startup accelerator offering comprehensive support for entrepreneurs committed to societal impact through scientific and technological breakthroughs.
- Thinktech, Ireland - €1 million fund backing tech based solutions to Ireland’s critical social issues, from Social Innovation Fund Ireland and Google.org.
- Blue Ridge Labs, New York, NY - incubator for tech for good ventures in NYC.
- Liberte Living Lab, Paris, France - collaborative workspace for tech, civic and social innovation.
- Norrsken Foundation, Sweden - tech for good incubator established by Niklas Adalberth, founder of Klarna.
- Outlandish, London UK - grants of £5k-£25k for Fellows to develop their own tech for good projects.
- CAST Digital Fellowship, UK - for CEOs and Directors of nonprofits.
- Stanford PACS, Stanford, US - annual post-doctoral fellowship with the Stanford Digital Civil Society Lab.
- Comic Relief, UK - for charities who want to build digital products and services.
- Elrha's Humanitarian Innovation Fund, Global - supports organisations to develop, test and share new technologies, products and processes that will make humanitarian aid more effective and cost-efficient in the future.
- Good Data Grants, Stanford, US - research and innovation grants to explore digital data/infrastructure that improves decision-making in philanthropy and civil society.
- Nominet Trust, UK - the UK's largest tech for good funder.
- UNICEF Innovation Fund, Global - for startups in emerging markets building open-source technology that can benefit children.
Angels and impact investors
- Fifty Years, San Francisco, CA - an entrepreneur-run early stage VC, funding companies that, if successful, will be both massively profitable and make a serious dent in achieving one of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- NESTA Impact Investments, UK - investing in ventures with inclusive and scalable innovations run by outstanding entrepreneurs.
Agencies and consultancies
- 3 Sided Cube, Bournemouth UK - mobile app studio, makers of Charity Kit app builder.
- DWYL, London UK - community of people dedicated to helping people solve real problems with technology.
- Neontribe, Norfolk UK - tech for good product agency.
- Outlandish, London UK - co-op of designers and developers working on projects that make a difference.
- Reason Digital, Manchester UK - websites and digital for charities and public sector orgs.
- Shift, London UK - designs consumer products and builds social ventures to help solve social problems.
- SimpleWeb, Bristol UK - digital studio specialising in SaaS and mobile.
- Squareweave, Melbourne Australia - full-service digital agency specialising in social good.
- Super Being Labs, London UK - creating social impact using entrepreneurship, creativity and technology.
- Thoughtbot, London UK - Ruby on Rails and iOS development studio, offer pro bono dev work to charities.
- CAST, UK - working with funders, nonprofits, startups and government to scale tech for good impact.
- CITA, UK - IT consultancy and tech surgeries for charities.
- Super Global, London - matches social enterprises with creatives/technologists around the world to amplify impact.
Regular meetups and events
- Impact.tech, San Francisco, CA
- NetSquared, worldwide
- Tech for Good London, UK
- Tech for Good Manchester, UK
- Tech4Good Sheffield, UK
- Tech for Good Cambridge, UK
- NetHope Global Summit, Atlanta, GA, 7-11 November 2016
- Social Good Week, France, 30 November-6 December 2016
- TechCon, Boston, MA, 10-12 November 2016
- Accelerate Global Good, San Francisco, CA, 2-3 March 2017
- For a list of global Civic Tech events, see this repo
- This list needs more project repo links! If you know of any awesome open source tech for good projects or open APIs, please add them (though please check for duplicates first).
- Keep descriptions short, simple and unbiased.
- Please make an individual commit for each suggestion.
- Add a new category if needed.
Thanks for your suggestions!