A web-based service that converts publicly available HGT files to useful STL files.
###Try it Out! This project is running on a Google Compute Engine server at jthatch.com. It's updated soon after any commit to this repository.
You can also download everything here and start the server with:
It will run at localhost:8080.
A few .HGT files are included, but not the whole set. You can get the rest from the USGS, or I could send you few.
- Add a resolution slider
Box size is in multiples of 120, so allowable downscales are 2,3,4,5,6,8,..Actually DEM resolution is 1/3, allowable downscales are 2,4,5,8 Probably 1/8 resolution is minimum desirable
- Draw the northern and southern boundaries of the data set
- Add a negative version for molds
- Make a manifold surface option (bigger file, but better performance)
###Descriptions of Files
- This directory contains some sample HGT files for testing. Included are Mt. Everest; Rockport, Maine; and San Franciso Bay.
- The whole dataset is 40GB, so only a few files are included.
This is the source code for the part of the program that actually creates the STL files
/src/elevstl.cpp- STL-creation program. Accept command line arguments
- The prototype for the HTML source of the website. Must be edited to contain API keys.
- Node.js server. Takes parameters from the HTML page and passes them to elevstl to create the STL.
- Also handles client downloading of pages and files.
(Previously on to-do list)
- Make dataset voids not just a fixed negative value.
- Make models watertight.
- Fix voids in edges of models
- Increase maximum box size.
- Fill voids in dataset.
- Make the 3 arcsecond resolution available in all sizes.
- Add ability to cross tiles. !!!
- Make Print and Download buttons disappear or defocus when the selection box is moved
- Make the selection box reflect changes in the Lat/Long boxes
- Decide on a maximum file size
- Add longitude compensation to correct for the distortion caused by the Mercator Projection
- Normalize model height to remove vertical offset
- Change view to fit lat/long
- Vertical scale slider
- Increase scale range (maybe to 4x)
- Compress STL files