A better implementation of ExtendedMembershipProvider with support for legacy MembershipProvider APIs.
The BetterMembership.Net library bridges the gap between the ExtendedMembershipProvider interface which is used with the WebSecurity API via SimpleMembershipProvider (see ASP.NET MVC4 Web Application - Internet template), and the older MembershipProvider interface (see ASP.NET Web Forms template).
By using the BetterMembership.Net library you can take advantage of the newer features of ExtendedMembershipProvider, but still use pre-existing user management tools for out-of-box user administration (including ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool). This is not possible when using the vanilla SimpleMembershipProvider implementation of ExtendedMembershipProvider.
The library also overcomes limitations of the SimpleMembershipProvider implementation, and allows multiple provider instances to be configured and used at runtime. This is useful for complex applications that involve multiple authentication schemes for partitioning users, such as in Sitecore for example.
For more information on why SimpleMembershipProvider cannot natively be used as a MembershipProvider, see SimpleMembershipProvider vs MembershipProvider)
- Supports SQL Server, SQL Compact and SQL Azure
- Compatible with EntityFramework and code-first
- Uses a clean database schema
- Works with existing user tables
- Plugs into existing user administration tools (including WSAT)
- Supports initialization of multiple provider instances
- Supports external authentication providers
- Provides customizable validation of username/email/password
PM> Install-Package BetterMembership.Net
Further documentation can be found at http://thecodeking.github.io/BetterMembership.Net