Purges Mastodon accounts. Deletes old posts. Makes things clean again.
MastoPurge connects to your Mastodon account and automatically mass-deletes your old toots. You define what "old" means: Posts from the last few hours/days/weeks/months are preserved while older ones get deleted from your account.
MastoPurge is executed as a command line application on your own PC. You do not need to rely on third parties.
- Deleting hundreds or thousands of posts can take a long time due to Mastodon API limits/throttling
- There is no guarantee that your federated toots are deleted on every foreign instance
Why should you use this tool?
There is a German word for the process of removing old data: "Datenhygiene". Datenhygiene can be translated to "data hygiene", which means to remove data which is not needed or relevant anymore. This brings some advantages:
- Remove part of your personal history from the internet: Maybe you regret having written something publicly or privately, which new users should not see anymore. We all change our opinions over time. Be sure nobody gets a wrong impression based on outdated posts.
- Improve server performance: Less posts => Less data => Better database performance => Quicker Mastodon reaction. Posts usually are not relevant anymore after a few days. Do your instance administrator a favor and clean up your space to keep costs for computing and storage as low as possible.
Why should you NOT use this tool?
Mass-deletions by MastoPurge cause a lot of traffic between Mastodon instances, because deletions are federated one after another. Unfortunately Mastodon does not offer mass-deleting old posts itself, so there is no other efficient way to get rid of your old data. Mass-deletions could be implemented quite traffic-respecting, if well integrated into Mastodon - obviously there is no solution to that yet. (Also see: #875, #69)
Download and run Linux x64 binary:
Download latest binary from https://github.com/ThomasLeister/mastopurge/releases/latest
chmod u+x mastopurge_linux_x86_64 ./mastopurge_linux_x86_64
Compile and run from source:
(Golang must be set up)
(change to your Golang source dir) git clone https://github.com/ThomasLeister/mastopurge.git cd mastopurge go run mastopurge.go
- Download and run MastoPurge (see above)
- Enter the domain name of your Mastodon home instance
- MastoPurge will ask you to visit a certain URL. Open this URL in your web browser
- Authorize MastoPurge to access your Mastodon account. A Code will be displayed.
- Enter the code into MastoPurge
- Select a timespan of your choice. Posts from this time range will not be deleted. Older posts will be removed.
- Wait. Removing hundreds or thousands of posts can take a long time due to API limits.
- MastoPurge will remember your account the next time you use it. No more authentication needed. If you want to use another account, delete the .mastopurgesettings file.