TOSearchBar is a basic re-implementation of
UISearchBar, Apple's UI control for performing simple text-based searches. Unlike
TOSearchBar has been designed to be much more easily themed, as well as provide smoother, more native feeling animations.
- A very simple and intuitive API.
- iOS 7 style spring animations when entering and leaving focus.
IBDesignableto be fully visible/configurable in Interface Builder.
- Provides default themes for both light and dark modes.
- Every internal UI element is exposed for custom theming.
- An extensive delegate object for dynamically controlling its behavior.
- Dynamic images generated at runtime, and recycled amongst all instances.
TOSearchBar will work with iOS 7 and above. While written in Objective-C, it should easily import into Swift as well.
Copy the contents of the
TOSearchBar folder to your app project.
Feel free to file a PR. :)
Why build this?
I'm building a comic reader app that uses a dark theme for a lot of its UI. While I tried very hard to make it work, I ultimately became very frustrated by
UISearchBar's lack of customizability. It's not possible to change the color of its elements without a lot of hacking, and some of its animations are downright broken. A colleague reasoned that it's the most broken UI control in iOS and I'm pretty sure he's right!
As a result, I decided to build this control. It's not as fully featured as
UISearchBar, but I'm sure we can add additional functionality to it as needed. :)
iPhone 7 Plus device mockup by Pixeden.
TOSearchBar is available under the MIT license. Please see the LICENSE file for more information.