Provides a simple helper to get an HTML select list of countries. The list of countries comes from the ISO 3166 standard. While it is a relatively neutral source of country names, it may still offend some users.
Users are strongly advised to evaluate the suitability of this list given their user base.
This project was forked to have a version of the gem which would use 2 letter ISO-3166 country codes, and allow for internationalization. The translations can be set up under the "countries" key with the ISO-3166 code as the sub-key. Thus: countries.US is the translation key for the United States of America.
- Converted COUNTRIES to a hash from default English name to ISO-3166 2 letter code.
- Fixed incompatibility with Rails 3.2.2 (thanks to jmazzi)
- Updated the country list to change the name of Libyan Arab Jamahiriya to Libya according to the latest ISO 3166 newsletter
- A country in the priority list will be selected there and not in the main list (thanks to yyyc514)
- Removed relics from the pre-gem days
Install as a gem using
gem install country-select
Or put the following in your Gemfile
Simple use supplying model and attribute as parameters:
Supplying priority countries to be placed at the top of the list:
country_select("user", "country_name", [ "United Kingdom", "France", "Germany" ])
- 1.0.5 - runtime error raised if any of the user-supplied priority countries do not correlate with those in the main country list.
- 1.0.4 - updated the country list to match the latest ISO 3166 specification
- 1.0.3 - changed gem name from 'iso-3166-country-select' to just 'country-select'
- 1.0.2 - forked the plugin and made it into a gem
Copyright (c) 2008 Michael Koziarski, released under the MIT license